[comp.sys.sun] tar on a roadrunner floppy

thorstad@wooglin.scc.com (Brian Thorstad) (01/07/89)

Sun wrote a special version of tar for the RoadRunner.  The "bar" command
(does anyone know what it stands for?) should suit your needs.  It does
everything that tar does plus a few things: 1) spans output volumes
(floppy only pre 4.0.1) 2) allows compression of files (via pack) 3) and
some other things I can't remember.

Be warned, the bar commands created by Snap are buggy.  rtfm, then write
your own.

Brian Thorstad
(thorstad@wooglin.scc.com)

jim@applix.UUCP (Jim Morton) (01/18/89)

thorstad@wooglin.scc.com (Brian Thorstad) writes:
> Sun wrote a special version of tar for the RoadRunner.  The "bar" command
> (floppy only pre 4.0.1) 2) allows compression of files (via pack) 3) and
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^

actually the "bar -Z" compression is not via pack(1) but by compress(1)
which uses the "Lempel-Ziv" compression coding method, FAR superior to
pack ("Huffman coding") or compact ("Adaptive Huffman coding"). Sun did a
nice job with bar, I regularly get around 3 meg of material on a 1.44 meg
floppy using bar -Z.

--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
UUCP: ...harvard!m2c!applix!jim