[net.news.group] As long as we are talking about rmgrouping ...

mike@peregrine.UUCP (Mike Wexler) (11/04/85)

How about replacing net.sources* with mod.sources*.  The moderator would
accomplish two tasks.  First to eliminate duplicate postings.  Second
to decide on the best method of distribution.
The moderator might follow these steps when a program is sent to hum
	1. post a short description of the program
	2. wait a few days
	3. count requests for distribution
	4. decide on best distribution method based on number of requests and
        possibly geographic/topological distribution.
	5. distribute the source through email and/or posting and/or chain mailing
	6. collect fixes to sources
	7. distribute fixes.
I know this is a lot of work.  It probably should be handled by multiple
moderators.  Someone who wished to post a source would email to the mod.sources
moderator who was closest to him.  If the poster wasn't satisfied with the
response of a particular moderator he could send the posting to another one.
If all the moderators refuse a posting it is probably not worth posting.
To lessen propagation delays it would be helpful if all the moderators of a
particle mod.sources* group had a direct connection to each other.

Please send reponses to me and I will summarize.

--
Mike(always a dreamer) Wexler
(trwrb|scgvaxd)!felix!peregrine!mike 		(714)855-3923

In article <429@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
[someone else]
>> I have never heard of a publication that will just blindly publish
>> ANYTHING that walks in off the street, uncut.

> I'm holding a copy of one right now. I read it. It's an APA (amateur press
> association) called "Alarums and Excursions". Anyone who wants to pay
> $2/page can get in on it. The editor is Lee Gold (sdcrdcf!barryg), ask
> her about it. The only things she cuts ....

You have just demonstrated the point of the previous poster (>>).
Some things (admittedly very few) are cut; and moreover, one must
*pay* to have things printed in it.

Just for comparison, how does the readership of the various APA
printings fare versus, say, the local newspaper?  Which one has
more editing?
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@mimsy.umd.edu