[comp.sys.sun] swap on nd and local disk

pz@gatech.edu (Paul Czarnecki) (01/11/89)

blia!blipyramid!mike@uunet.uu.net (Mike Ubell) writes:
>I have discovered that you cannot swap local and have the root in an nd
>partition.  If you do not have some swap space in an nd partition then at
>boot time it cannot mount the root.  Is there a solution to this problem?

Sun told me to just make an nd swap with a zero size.  Then swap on both
nd and your local disk.

I have not tried this.  (By the time I got my answer back from the
Software Hotline I had already loaded my disk with a root and /usr also.
Sigh...)

	pZ

	Paul Czarnecki -- A Newsfeed is Sometime Thing
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz

dinah@shell.UUCP (Dinah Anderson) (01/16/89)

>>I have discovered that you cannot swap local and have the root in an nd
>>partition.  If you do not have some swap space in an nd partition then at
>>boot time it cannot mount the root.  Is there a solution to this problem?

>Sun told me to just make an nd swap with a zero size.  Then swap on both
>nd and your local disk.

>I have not tried this.  (By the time I got my answer back from the
>Software Hotline I had already loaded my disk with a root and /usr also.
>Sigh...)

We HAVE tried it. We found that your nd root at to be > 0. I believe that3
3 Mb was the magic number. I would be interested in knowing if someone has
made this work with less.

I would also like to know how the swap actually works when you have 2 swap
devices and the first one is very small and the 2nd much larger.  Does the
systems use 1 MB of the first and then 1 mb of the second, etc.  until the
first 1 is full? Then does it use the 2nd swap device exclusively or does
it continue to check the first device?

I am working under the assumption that the system is interleaving the swap
in 1 mb pages.

Dinah Anderson
Shell Oil Company, Information Center (713) 795-3287
...!{sun,psuvax,soma,rice,ut-sally,ihnp4}!shell!dinah

mark@uunet.uu.net (Mark Lawrence) (01/21/89)

dinah@shell.UUCP (Dinah Anderson) wrote:
} We HAVE tried it. We found that your nd root at to be > 0. I believe that3
} 3 Mb was the magic number. I would be interested in knowing if someone has
} made this work with less.

We found the magic number to be 3 cyls.  e-mail to
...sun!suntan!tots!louis for more info (I don't work there any more).