[comp.sys.sun] strange failure

lkw@csun.edu (Larry Wake) (01/26/89)

berlin%bu-albert.BU.EDU@bu-it.bu.edu (David Fickes) writes:
>Essentially, SOME cartridge tapes will create the following error...
>
>st0:  failed cmd =  8  1  0  0  14  0
>st0 error:  sense key(0x8): blank check,  error code(0x34): end-of-media
>           sense = f0  0  8  0  0  0  14  3  34  0  0  0  0  0  0  0
>
>This was using the command tar -tf /dev/rst0 .. I've also seen it using
>tar -tf /dev/nrst0 but the tape drive works when using rst8!!!

Well...unless I'm missing something obvious, the "problem" is that the
tapes in question were made using rst8 instead of rst0, which is generally
what you want to do, unless you're giving the tape to someone with an
older Sun-2.  Using rst8 causes the tape to be written in a higher
capacity format, allowing you to store more on each tape, and faster.
However, if it's made on rst8, you have to read it on rst8.  No big deal.

Larry Wake
CSU Northridge Computer Center
lkw@csun.edu
--
Larry Wake                   		 lkw@csun.edu
CSUN Computer Center	       uucp:     {hplabs,rdlvax}!csun!lkw