[comp.sys.sun] 4.0.1 on 4 meg machines?

david%pyr@gatech.edu (David Brown) (01/13/89)

I've read lots of horror stories about SunOS 4.0 on 4 meg machines (like
the 3/60's we have).  I'm running 3.5 now, and have been going through the
sun-spots archives to get some 'insight' into whether I want to go through
the hassle of installing 4.0 or not.  The only real drawback I've seen is
the MAJOR loss of performance, and that can be corrected by going back to
the 3.5 binaries for suntools (any others that need replacing?)  Well, I
just recieved a 4.0.1 tape in the mail.  Have there been any speed
improvements for small machines?  Are the binaries still slow?  Should I
just wait for 4.1?

Since I'm sure most people are tired of hearing the badgering about slow
4.0 machines, please reply E-mail.  I'll either post a summary or mail
copies of what I recieve to interested parties.

Thanks!
  David Brown

David Brown
Armstrong State College, Savannah, Georgia
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,uunet,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!david
ARPA: david@pyr.gatech.edu

[[ Now that we finally have a server-capable machine running 4.0.1, we
intend to upgrade a diskless (4Meg) 3/50 to 4.0.1.  At that time I intend
to do some serious playing to compare performance and to see the effects
of the recommended tuning procedures.  I will report my findings to
"y'all" at some point in the near future.  --wnl ]]

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (01/28/89)

ut-emx!emx!clyde@cs.utexas.edu (Head UNIX Hacquer) writes:
>Pain is running 4.X on a Sun 2!  Yes, unfortunately we have two 5 MB 2/50s
>running 4.0.1.  Working on them is more like Swine Science than Computer
>Science.

I know what you mean about 4.0 on a Sun 2.  I'm on one right now.  What
I'd like to know is how you get more than 4 meg into a 2/50 -- I thought 4
meg was the limit.

Also, which is faster, a 2/120 or a 2/50?

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

[[ Several companies provide memory upgrade packages for the 3/50: Helios,
Clearpoint, and (I think) Sunflower.  Sun has just recently announced its
own upgrade packages for the 3/50.  They include a 3/60-like processor
(faster clock, basically), and memory from 4 to 24 Megabytes in increments
of 4 Megabytes.  --wnl ]]