[comp.sys.sun] Termcap bug in SunOS 4.0

igp@uunet.uu.net (Ian Phillipps) (01/16/89)

The termcap entry for "sun" still has the "sm" entry, indicating that it
is "safe to move in standout mode".  Unfortunately, this is no longer so
(was under 3.x).

This is shown up by the "sc" spreadsheet when scrolling sideways;
highlighted letters appear in the wrong places on the screen.

Fix: remove "sm:" from the /etc/termcap entry - whoops, I mean
/usr/share/lib/termcap.
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (01/21/89)

mcvax!camcon.co.uk!igp@uunet.uu.net (Ian Phillipps) writes:

>The termcap entry for "sun" still has the "sm" entry, indicating that it
>is "safe to move in standout mode".  Unfortunately, this is no longer so

Mine doesn't.  Are you sure your termcap didn't come from somewhere other
than the 4.0 tape?

>This is shown up by the "sc" spreadsheet when scrolling sideways;
>highlighted letters appear in the wrong places on the screen.

I had problems with teleportation and incorrect highlighting with unipress
emacs under 4.0, then I discovered that somehow my tty was getting set
with tabs on -- doing "stty -tabs" solved it.

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

peter%myst.uwo.ca@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (Peter Marshall) (01/31/89)

mcvax!camcon.co.uk!igp@uunet.uu.net (Ian Phillipps) writes:
>The termcap entry for "sun" still has the "sm" entry, indicating that it
>is "safe to move in standout mode".  Unfortunately, this is no longer so

The correct fix (to make sc display properly) is to remove the "ms" entry
(not the "sm" entry) in the "sun" termcap definition.  The (5) termcap
manual entry makes it clear that this was a transposition in the original
message.

Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7
(519)661-2151x6032
peter.marshall@uwo.ca pm@uwovax (BITNET); peter@julian.uucp