[comp.sys.sun] Windows vanishing from Sun3/50

steve@MATHS.WARWICK.AC.UK (Steve Rumsby) (01/16/89)

This sounds remarkably familiar! Reported to Sun UK on October 4th
according to my list. The call is still open. Our windows only seemed to
disappear after they had been idle for a while (15 mins or so, I think).
This happened not only to shelltool/cmdtool windows but even to clocktool!
Lockscreen suffers from this also (which makes it a little ineffective :-)

A "workaround" that seems to "work" is to recompile the offending tools
with -Bstatic. You have the sources to these even if you are a binary
site. Except that a quick "ls" doesn't reveal the source to lockscreen.

	Hope this helps,
	Steve.

--
UUCP:     ...!ukc!warwick!steve        Internet: steve@maths.warwick.ac.uk
JANET:     steve@uk.ac.warwick.maths    PHONE:     +44 203 523523 x2657

mack@uunet.uu.net (Dave Mack) (01/21/89)

mukul@hi-csc.UUCP (Mukul Agrawal) writes:
>[cmdtool and shelltool windows are mysteriously disappearing.]

If you're running newcsh or tcsh, make sure you have "unset autologout" in
your .cshrc.

Dave Mack

libes@cme.nbs.gov (Don Libes) (01/24/89)

steve@MATHS.WARWICK.AC.UK (Steve Rumsby) writes:
>This sounds remarkably familiar! Reported to Sun UK on October 4th
>according to my list. The call is still open. Our windows only seemed to
>disappear after they had been idle for a while (15 mins or so, I think).

I can't believe Sun is not solving this problem for you.  They told us way
back in July that this was a known problem in 3.5 due to a firmware bug,
and shipped us new boards for all our 3/50s.

Call hardware support and ask that your cpu board be brought up to current
rev.  Before upgrade our rev level was 2.3, after 2.7.  (The rev level
prints out when you first power the system up.)  It may help to reference
Service Order #195054.  (Aren't you glad I take copious notes?)

Don Libes          libes@cme.nbs.gov      ...!uunet!cme-durer!libes

hedrick@geneva.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (02/01/89)

We get this problem because one of our shells has a default autologout
after 15 min idle.  You might check that before changing CPU cars.