[comp.sys.sun] Printer connections on Sun's

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (01/18/89)

>What I want to happen, is to be able to send any and all characters to the
>printer without losing the tail end.

Run something from "/etc/rc.local" that opens the serial port for the
printer and holds it open.  There's a problem with closes on streams
devices that causes XON/XOFF flow control to go away while output is still
queued.  One of the 4.0.1 patches may purport to fix this.

kevin@uunet.uu.net (Kevin Kelleher) (01/19/89)

>Specifying the /usr/lib/lpf output filter causes all escape characters to
>be stripped. This disables any use of special printer features. Removing
>the 'of' field results in some amount of the last piece of the file to not
>print - as if the final buffer full of data is not being flushed to the
>printer.

I have been having similar with problems with my printer dropping pieces
of files on an HP Laserjet printer to my Sun 3/280 under OS 4.0.1.  After
some experimentation I have decided it is probably a tty driver problem.
A work around is to print a lot of spaces (~200 work nicely).  either at
the end of the file, or in another file in the queue right after the one
you want.  At least for me, the dropped charaters are only in the last
printout before the queue empties.  I have a call in to Sun, but they have
not gotten back to me (surprise surprise).

As for the dropping of escape characters, either use the -l option to lpr,
or write your own filter.

Kevin Kelleher, Xilinx Inc.,
UUCP: uunet!xilinx!kevin or pyramid!xilinx!kevin
Ma-Bell: (408) 559-7778 x269

rgrodrig@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Robert Rodriguez) (02/03/89)

auspex!guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) writes:
> >What I want to happen, is to be able to send any and all characters to the
> >printer without losing the tail end.
>
> Run something from "/etc/rc.local" that opens the serial port for the
> printer and holds it open.  There's a problem with closes on streams
> devices that causes XON/XOFF flow control to go away while output is still
> queued.  One of the 4.0.1 patches may purport to fix this.

I pulled my hair out for a week over this problem.

The purported 4.0.1 fix didn't work for me (Sun3/260, Citoh3500 on ttya).

Sun *DOES* have the answer!  I called the hotline, a software engineer,
Ray Jang (I think) sent me a 4.0.1.a patch tape.  This tape had fixes for
the serial tty driver in the kernel.  The printer works perfectly.

Robert Rodriguez
(415) 545-8313
pacbell!pttesac!robert