[comp.sys.sun] The Moderator Always Gets the Last Word

kcb@macaw.jhuapl.edu (Kevin C Brown x4700 1-e136) (01/26/89)

>I am finding that wnl's commentaries in messages are more irksome than
>helpful these days.

John,

Your comments are out of line.

Kevin Brown
Applied Physics Laboratory
Laurel, MD 20707
(301) 953-5000
ARPA: kcb@macaw.jhuapl.edu

matt@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (01/26/89)

Although I wouldn't go so far as John Gilmore, I too have been a bit
disgruntled with wnl's comments as of late.  So I decided to look through
the v7 issues to find comments that I knew to be wrong or at the very
least misleading.  I found nine "errors" of varying severity.  Briefly:

	1) "Integer overflow is (I believe) not detectable in C", which
	   isn't quite true, but it is difficult.
	2) The various problems with a suid uudecode program.  wnl doesn't
	   mention the possible security hole opened when making uudecode
	   non-suid (the "decode" alias).
	3) /dev/rmt0 vs. /dev/rmt8.  Both CAN hold about the same amount of
	   data, it's just that the older QIC-11 drives that Sun sold were
	   4-track and thus DID hold less data than the QIC-11 (/dev/rmt0)
	   and QIC-24 (/dev/nrm8) 9-track drives that Sun sells now.
	4) wnl correctly stated that a problem with ftp wasn't due to the
	   kernel trying to read /etc/hosts, but went on to suggest that
	   the problem was tfpd trying to do so.  In reality, it is
	   ifconfig that needs this information.
	5) A minor quibble about ncheck being faster than find, which
	   turned out to be false.
	6) The problem of trying to restore a /usr partition under
	   SunOS 4.0.  wnl gives good advice for 3.X, but the needed
	   binaries (the most notable being restore) are not present
	   in the root partition under 4.0.
	7) The gaffe about 8-bit characters having always been supported
	   by the Unix kernel, which wasn't quite true (from what I can
	   gleam from the responses, it wasn't properly supported until
	   4.3?  I'm still a little foggy on this.)
	8) Not really an actual error, but mentioning the 's' vs. 'S'
	   permissions on group access for directories and having no idea
	   why they were there (SunOS 4.0 uses this bit to determine how a
	   file created in such a directory will be assigned group ownership).
	9) And, of course, we have the 4.3 fast "find" controversy...
	   The funny thing here is that in the original message, wnl actually
	   tried the "find name" usage and got:
	       "/usr/lib/find/find.codes: No such file or directory"
	   Instead of accusing the author of coming from the "twilight zone",
	   wnl could have looked in /usr/lib/find to see what was really
	   going on -- even though the behavior isn't documented anywhere
	   (that's what I did).

I'm sure there could be more, as I don't claim to be a Unix guru and we
don't have a diverse collection of hardware sitting on our little Sun
network.  Now, I don't look at 9 "errors" as being that many for 100
issues.  However, most of these occurred fairly recently.

Overall, I think wnl is doing a wonderful job, and providing a wonderful
service.  I guess what I am saying is that one shouldn't answer questions
unless they are sure of the answers.  The problem with that advice is that
people tend to think that they are absolutely correct, even when they
aren't, until someone proves otherwise (and sometimes, even after that).

I am starting to find the wording of some of wnl commentary a bit
annoying, up to and including the latest, "[[ I would insert a comment
here, but Mr.  Gilmore doesn't want me to.  --wnl ]]" which I find most
inappropriate.  I think just a little less commentary would be the
appropriate solution...

-----
Matt Goheen
uucp:		rutgers!rochester!srs!matt
domain:		srs!matt@cs.rochester.edu, matt@srs.uucp
internet:	matt%srs.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu

phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (01/26/89)

This is in response to the previous article by Matt Goheen.

The comment I included in John Gilmore's article was a joke.  Get it?  Why
are so many people on the net so serious?  Lighten up a little.  Enjoy
life.  Relax!

As for your nine "errors", I think you are really stretching some of them
to try and say they are incorrect.

> 1) "Integer overflow is (I believe) not detectable in C"

The fact that a simple arithmetic operation caused the overflow bit to be
set is not detectable without standard compiler or run-time library
support.  Yes, you can check the values before or after and determine
algorithmically if the computation would cause an overflow, but you cannot
actually detect the overflow event.  What I'm saying is that there is
nothing like a PL/I "on error goto foo;" capability.  And there is no way
to convert an overflow into a Unix signal:  the 680x0 doesn't support that
sort of behavior.

> 2) The various problems with a suid uudecode program.  wnl doesn't mention
> the possible security hole opened when making uudecode non-suid (the
> "decode" alias).

There are many things that I don't mention, especially in a comment that
is intended to be brief.  First you tell me I put in too many comments,
then you fault me for not making the comments thorough enough?  You can't
have it both ways, fellah.

> 7) The gaffe about 8-bit characters having always been supported by the
> Unix kernel, which wasn't quite true (from what I can gleam from the
> foggy on this.)

Yes, this was a genuine (and rather serious) mistake.  I know for an
absolute and definite fact that 8-bit names were legal under 4.1.  The
only byte values that were not allowed were 0, '/', and '/'+0200.  I cna't
speak authoritatively about previous versions of Bell and BSD Unix.  The
change happened with 4.2 BSD and was carried over into SunOS.

> 8) Not really an actual error, but mentioning the 's' vs. 'S' permissions
> on group access for directories and having no idea why they were there

As you said, "not really an actual error".  Am I also to be faulted for
admitting my ignorance?

	William LeFebvre
	<phil@Rice.edu>

vern@acacia.lbl.gov (Vern Paxson) (01/26/89)

gnu@toad.com writes:
> I am finding that wnl's commentaries in messages are more irksome than
> helpful these days.

This message is just a vote of confidence to say that I haven't noticed
any such irksome messages on your part and prefer your current style of
editing as opposed to that which he suggests.  Hang in there!

	Vern

	Vern Paxson				vern@lbl-csam.arpa
	Real Time Systems			ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!vern
	Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory		(415) 486-6411

shn@think.com (01/26/89)

> gnu@toad.com writes "I am finding that wnl's commentaries in messages are
> more irksome than helpful these days."

A couple of comments.

I treat all suggestions from the net with the same suspicion, no matter
who writes them.  Nobody here is batting 1.000.

The moderator can save everyone a lot of time by sending a quick responce
in the comments.  Otherwise, the sender might get one hundred repsonces to
the obvious question.

I am sure wnl spends a lot of time running Sun-Spots, but if gnu@toad.com
would like to take his place, I am sure wnl would like the spare time.

Personally I would like to thank wnl for his performance given the volumn
of mail he processes *every day*, including weekends.

Sam Nuwayser (shn@think.com) Thinking Machines Corporation

wwtz@uunet.uu.net (Wolfgang Wetz) (01/26/89)

gnu@toad.com writes:
>I am finding that wnl's commentaries in messages are more irksome than
>helpful these days.
..... rest of message deleted

I think, you are wrong. To me wnl's comments and notes are very helpful
and I appreciate very much his effort by adding comments and explanations.

Especially to newcomers his comments and notes are of great value because
they give a better feeling on how to categorize the information contained
in the articles.

>[[ I would insert a comment here, but Mr. Gilmore doesn't want me to.
>--wnl ]]

I hope that you, dear William, continue to make comments; I'd bet that the
majority likes them. Let me take the opportunity to thankyou for the great
job you are doing.

therefore: the moderator gets the last word - a VERY GOOD idea!

In case he really *is* wrong: there is a way to submit a followup, isn't
it?

Wolfgang Wetz, Systems Administrator, Scientific Computing Centre
   c/o CIBA-GEIGY AG, R-1045.330, CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland
 Internet: wwtz%cgch.uucp@uunet.uu.net
 UUCP:     ...!mcvax!cernvax!cgch!wwtz                Phone: (+41) 61 697 54 25
 BITNET:   wwtz%cgch.uucp@cernvax.bitnet              Fax:   (+41) 61 697 32 88

gam@uunet.uu.net (Gregory Miller) (01/26/89)

Recently John Gilmore (gnu@toad.com) contributed:

>"I am finding that wnl's commentaries in messages are more irksome than
>helpful these days.  Partly this is because his error rate is way up; up
>to half of the recent comments, by my random accounting, are wrong in one
>way or another. ****"

All in all I think Mr. LeFebvre efforts to provide this valuable service
to us should be applauded, however, I agree with the essence of Mr.
Gilmore's assertion with an additional comment.

I think Mr. LeFebvre must bear in mind the apparent authority that runs
with being a moderator.  For those gurus out there, the transparency of
such authority may be readily apparent; for the more common class of us
(and more so for the new readers or neophytes), we respect Bill and give
his comments a default value of validity.  Therefore, one can be somewhat
shaken to discover an error in the moderator's comments.  This tends to
deteriorate whatever credibility he has built up.  On the other hand, I
appreciate Bill's apparent objectivity and ability to sustain a little
constructive criticism by supplying Mr. Gilmore's comments.

The important caveat for all of us is to remember that egos tend to run
high in this profession, and yet we are all human and subject to mistake.
Unfortunately for Mr. LeFebvre, his mistakes are more glaring because of
his visibility.  And so perhaps Mr. Gilmore's next suggestion is a very
good one:

>I would personally prefer if the moderator's comments were limited to
>pointers to answers (e.g. [[ See Sun-Spots v5n33 about this....]])
>without adding facts or opinions in the middle of other peoples' messages.
>If something really deserves comment, rather than just gossip, the
>moderator's comments should appear just like any other message in the
>digest or newsgroup -- and with the same delay.

Here, here.  There is no reason why Mr. LeFebvre cannot identify himself
as the moderator in his own separate submissions.  And I suspect that
delaying his own response an issue or two will serve a measure of
equality.  Unfortunately, due to his own hectic schedule, and efforts in
putting this digest out, he has hastily responded incorrectly; this has
dampened the effectiveness of his in-line commentary.

Therefore, I too call for Bill to carefully measure his commentary, and
reserve regular response to the standard forum and submission procedures.
A moderator's job is to keep a smooth and fair flow of information and not
to prepare it or adjust it by his own commentary so to position the
material in a light favorable to anyone.

In six years of reading netnews, I have never seen a better use of the
medium than Sunspots.  It has proven its worth time and again.  All in all
I think Bill LeFebvre has made an outstanding effort in an otherwise
thankless service support type position.  Keep up the good work, but
measure your response - perhaps the less said, the better.  We know you
are one of the ranking experts and it doesn't need to be proved at the
risk of ruining credibility over a rash of goofs. :-)

Gregory Miller				UUCP:	   get-it-to!sun!nosun!cvedc!gam
Technical Staff				INTERNET:  gmiller@cvbnet.prime.com
PRIME/Computervision Electronics	AT&T:	   503/645-2410
Development Center			FAX:	   503/645-4734
14952 NW Greenbrier Parkway
Beaverton, Oregon  USA  97006-5733	#include disclaimers.h

[[ Believe me, I do not insert comments like this just to inflate my ego.
I do it primarily to hold down traffic on the list by providing a
(hopefully correct) answer to a simple question.  My primary motivation
for these comments is the interests of the general Sun-Spots readership.
Take it from one who knows, anyone who moderates a list solely to inflate
his or her own ego isn't going to last very long (especially if the list
has a large volume).  --wnl ]]

mac@mrk.ardent.com (Michael McNamara) (02/03/89)

Since all these people are nit picking at wnl's comments, I'll nit at his
detractors comments...

In article <8901161947.AA03374@flash.srs.com> srs!matt@uhura.cc.rochester.edu writes:
> Although I wouldn't go so far as John Gilmore, I too have been a bit
> disgruntled with wnl's comments as of late.  So I decided to look through
> the v7 issues to find comments that I knew to be wrong or at the very
> least misleading....
> 	3) /dev/rmt0 vs. /dev/rmt8.  Both CAN hold about the same amount of
> 	   data, it's just that the older QIC-11 drives that Sun sold were
> 	   4-track and thus DID hold less data than the QIC-11 (/dev/rmt0)
> 	   and QIC-24 (/dev/nrm8) 9-track drives that Sun sells now.

Sorry, Matt, but you are *very* wrong.  /dev/rmt0 holds about 1/4 as much
data as /dev/rmt8.  rmt0 refers 1600 BPI on the nine track reel to reel
tape drive, and rmt8 to 6250 BPI on that same drive.

/dev/rst? is the SCSI QIC-11/24 drive.

>From the mt man page : (so few people seem to have these things these days
:-)

FILES
     /dev/rmt* Raw magnetic tape interface
     /dev/rar* Raw Archive cartridge tape interface
     /dev/rst* Raw SCSI tape interface
     /dev/rxt* Raw Xylogics tape interface

Just remember, when you critique someone else, run your mail through
spell(1)!!!

Michael McNamara
  mac@ardent.com

[[ Thank you.  I had missed that.  Just proves that none of use, not
moderators nor even their critics, are perfect.  --wnl ]]