[comp.sys.sun] 3/50 upgrade product announcement from Sun

phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (01/26/89)

I just got this Friday from our local Sun office.  Thought some readers
might just possibly be interested (is that an understatement?).

PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT   3/50 Upgrade
--------------------

Only the flat-top 3/50 versions are upgradable. This version has been
shipping since July 1987. At this time we are unable to announce anything
for the dimple-top 3/50's but several possible alternatives are under
evaluation.

The upgrades have 75 to 90 day availability and are priced as follows:

Upgrades for flat-top 3/50s:
  UG3/60-4F   Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/4MB         $4,950
  UG3/60-8F   Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/8MB         $6,650
  UG3/60-12F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/12MB       $10,050
  UG3/60-16F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/16MB       $13,450
  UG3/60-20F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/20MB       $16,850
  UG3/60-24F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/24MB       $20,250

Customers may install the upgrade themselves or call Sun to install.  It
is covered by a 90 day warranty. If a service agreement covers the system,
Sun will install the upgrade at no charge as a courtesy to the customer.

This upgrade offers customers the best solution to capacity constrained
3/50s. The 3/60 upgrade is a high quality, high performance solution.
Internal evaluation of 3/50 add-on solutions has indicated they may cause
possible reliability problems such as:

  a. Erratic and unpredictable failures due to exceeding the
     internal power supply capacity.
  b. Increased failures due to air flow restrictions and increased
     heat dissipation.
  c. Incompatibility of hardware and software with various
     of the CPU when married with an add-on product.
  d. Damage to CPU on installation and de-installation.
  e. Unforeseen difficulties due to past and future design changes.

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
-------------------
1. How do I know if I have a dimple-top or flat-top system

   The older style dimple-top systems were built prior to July'87 and are
   attached directly to the 3/50 base with the ball of the monitor into
   the dimple of the base. These systems would have serial numbers
   beginning with numbers less than 730. The newer flat-top style have
   monitors resting atop the base unit.

2. What do I get with the upgrade?

   The upgrades for the flat-top offer the exchange of the 3/50 CPU board
   for the 3/60 CPU.  Also included is the installation documentation and
   3/60 feature tape.

3. Will other upgrades be offered for the 3/50?

   We plan to offer upgrades to future Motorola and SPARC based products
   as they become available. We do not foresee availability of these
   upgrades for 3-6 months after the base product is announced.

4. Why has Sun not come out with its own memory add-on for the 3/50 like
the ones from Clearpoint, Helios and SunFlower?

   Several designs were proposed and some actually were built and tested.
   Each and every one was rejected due to the lack of confidence in
   product quality and reliability that could be achieved when evaluating
   the complete system including the add-on memory.

5. What if we choose to go with one of the 3/50 add-on products?

   If the add-on product specially modifies the Sun product such as the
   soldering of components, Sun will not honor the warranty and will
   support the product on a T&M best efforts basis only. This applies as
   well to any service agreement covering the product.

   If the add-on product is reversible, then Sun will continue to support
   the Sun system and the Sun components, however the customer must
   properly install/de-install the add-on product for service to be
   performed. Also, should the addition of the add-on memory cause a
   failure or increase the failure rate of the Sun system, then the
   customer will be liable for T&M charges.

6. Will Sun be able to ship these upgrades in a timely manner?

   You should quote a 75-90 day lead time. We have a commitment from
   manufacturing for enough boards to meet our forecasted requirement.  We
   expect availability to be less than 75-90 days in Q4.

	William LeFebvre
	<phil@Rice.edu>

cyrus@pprg.unm.edu (Tait Cyrus) (02/03/89)

phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT   3/50 Upgrade...
>Upgrades for flat-top 3/50s:
>  UG3/60-4F   Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/4MB         $4,950
>  UG3/60-8F   Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/8MB         $6,650
>  UG3/60-12F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/12MB       $10,050
>  UG3/60-16F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/16MB       $13,450
>  UG3/60-20F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/20MB       $16,850
>  UG3/60-24F  Upgrade 3/50 CPU to 3/60 CPU w/24MB       $20,250

This seems to me to be a BAD deal.  Why should I spend $6,650 to upgrade
to a roughly 4 MIP machine when I can pay ~$9,000 for a 10 MIP machine
from DEC (Vaxstation 3100).  Sun has got to do better than this.  I am NOT
mentioning this to start a fight as to who makes better machines because I
REALLY like Sun produces (that is all we have in our research group).  I
am mentioning this because Sun is charging $1,650/MIP while other vendors
are MUCH lower; DEC for example, with the 3100, is ~$900/MIP.

When is Sun going to come out with a machine using the 50 MIPS Bipolar
Tech. chip that was promised 4Q88 (yes last year)?

---
W. Tait Cyrus   (505) 277-0806		e-mail: cyrus@pprg.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
Dept of ECE - Parallel Processing Research Group
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131

shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Jay) (02/03/89)

I'm underwhelmed by Sun's offer to upgrade my 3/50 to an 8 MB 3/60 for
$6,650.  Based on prices listed in the June 27, 1988, pricelist ($4995 for
3/50M, $11,900 for 8 MB 3/60M), Sun is essentially offering to give me the
orignal purchase price for my 3/50 if I trade it for a 3/60.  I guess
that's generous, but it misses the point.

Sun seems to be saying that you need a mimimum of 8 MB to run reasonably
on OS 4, and their cheapest 8 MB machine is $11,900.  That's over twice as
much as the minimum useful machine under OS 3.  It's absolutely absurd to
have an OS "upgrade" require a machine that's twice as expensive as
before.

I suspect that a lot of Sun's success in recent years was based on the
$5000 entry level machine.  Things are quite different at $12000.

Customers do not appreciate the forced obsolescence of equipment that they
bought only a year or two ago.  DEC was always good at doing that.  I
wonder how many current Sun customers gave up on DEC just because they did
it one too many times.

I don't think that Sun purposely tried to force us to buy new machines by
making the new OS require more memory.  I suspect they just didn't notice
that 4 MB performace went to hell as they worked on OS 4, probably because
all the developers had at least 8 MB.  I think Sun could fix the problem
(make OS 4 work reasonably on 3/50's) very easily:  take all the machines
away from the developers except for 3/50's.  Within a few months, you can
be sure they would figure out ways to make OS 4 reasonable for themselves.

Does anyone remember when 4 MB was A WHOLE LOT of memory?

[[ I do.  The first computer I ever worked on only had two memory sizes
for jobs (measured in 16-bit words):  10K and 16K.  Sigh.  --wnl ]]

Steve Jay                       domain: shj@ultra.com
Ultra Network Technologies	Internet: ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov
101 Daggett Drive               uucp: ...ames!ultra!shj
San Jose, CA 95134
408-922-0100

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (02/03/89)

Someone here at Harris noticed that if you want a 16 meg upgrade, it is
cheaper to buy two 8 meg upgrades, at $6,650 each (total: $13,300) than a
single 16 meg upgrade (total: $13,450).  You can move the extra SIMMs to
your machine, and save the motherboard as a spare!

Let's talk gouging:  Sun is charging $3400/4 megs of memory for any
upgrade beyond 8 megs.

Why can't you upgrade dimple tops?  What is the problem?  Clearance?
Cooling?  As the owners of 12 dimple tops, what do WE do?

[[ Call Clearpoint, maybe?  --wnl ]]

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

gary@hplabs.hp.com (Gary A. Cattelino) (02/03/89)

In article <2495@kalliope.rice.edu>, phil@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
> PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT   3/50 Upgrade
> Only the flat-top 3/50 versions are upgradable. This version has been

Too bad.  I have dimple-top Sun 3/50's.

> 2. What do I get with the upgrade?
>    The upgrades for the flat-top offer the exchange of the 3/50 CPU board
>    for the 3/60 CPU.  Also included is the installation documentation and
>    3/60 feature tape.

Hmmm.  I suspect the upgrade involves more than just replacing the CPU.
If replacing the CPU is all that's required, then why isn't the upgrade
offered for dimple-top models?  I think Sun plans to swap the entire base
box with a new one.  By swaping the whole box, you then get the proper
power supply to go with your new Sun 3/60.

--
      Gary A. Cattelino               Rockwell International
      sun!sunkist!arcturus!gary       gary@arcturus.UUCP