[comp.sys.sun] Laserwriter 'kit' on QMS-PS810 problems

dfh@uncecs.edu (David Hinnant) (01/12/89)

We're having mucho problemeros getting the Sun Laserwriter Kit to function
properly with a QMS-PS810.  Enscript works fine.  However, ptroff works OK
with the normal Times font only.  Whatever we try to generate Helvetia or
any other font in the QMS fails - we get Times always.  We're not troff
novices either so I figure we're going wrong somewhere else.  There are
over a dozen fonts in the QMS and enscript can get to them.  It's just
troff that seems to have problems.  Any suggestions?  And yes, we have
called the Sun support line.  Need I say more?  That's why I'm asking
here!  Thanks in advance,

David Hinnant                    UUCP: ...{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!dfh
Bell Northern Research           (919) 991-8299

mb@ttidca.tti.com (Michael Bloom) (02/08/89)

dfh@uncecs.edu (David Hinnant) writes:
>We're having mucho problemeros getting the Sun Laserwriter Kit to function
>properly with a QMS-PS810.  Enscript works fine.  However, ptroff works OK
>with the normal Times font only.

I ran into this on a sunos4 system.  Seems that Sunos4's troff is pickier
about argument/flag ordering than ptroff expects it to be.  The following
changes worked for me (Since you're using a PS-810, I didn't bother to
edit out an unrelated change that produces better page centering on my
PS-810):

*** ptroff	Thu May 14 01:49:35 1987
--- /usr/local/ptroff	Mon Nov 14 09:18:44 1988
***************
*** 25,26 ****
--- 25,28 ----
  	-#*|-h|-m)	spool="$spool $1" ;;
+ 	-m*)	mac="$mac $1" ;;
+
  	-P*)	printer=$1 ;;
  fi
! troff="troff -F${psfontlib}/ftXX -t $opt ${psfontlib}/${family}.head $fil "
! pscat="pscat -F${psfontlib}/${family}.ct "

  fi
! troff="troff -F${psfontlib}/ftXX -t $opt $mac ${psfontlib}/${family}.head  $fil "
! pscat="pscat -y -25 -x +22 -F${psfontlib}/${family}.ct "