[comp.sys.sun] initialization string for printer

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (02/09/89)

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
>I am trying to set up an initialization string that is sent to a printer
>every time I print a file.  I am currently using the 'ff' option in
>/etc/printcap, which takes effect after the header page.  ...

What you need to do is write a simple output filter (called with the 'of'
option in /etc/printcap).  The filter writes the initialization string to
stdout, then copies stdin to stdout until EOF.  See "4.3BSD Line Printer
Spooler" for a complete description of how filters work.  It's in ch. 19
of "System and Network Administration" in my Sun documentation.

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana (Caleb Hess)				KE9LC