[comp.sys.sun] Wanted: Duplicaters for Sun systems

robin@pilchuck.data-io.com (Tim Rosmus) (01/25/89)

Does anyone  know  of  a  system  to  mass  duplicate  Sun  1/4"  tape
cartridges.  Any help would be appreciated.

<tim@Data-IO.COM>            ..uunet            Tim Rosmus (Sys Admin)
..sun!fluke----------\           |               Data I/O Corporation
..uw-beaver------------!tikal!pilchuck!tim      10525 Willows Road N.E.
..decvax!microsoft---/                        Redmond, WA  (206)881-6444

aad@stepstone.com (Anthony A. Datri) (02/03/89)

robin@pilchuck.data-io.com (Tim Rosmus) writes:
>Does anyone  know  of  a  system  to  mass  duplicate  Sun  1/4"  tape
>cartridges.

I use the copytape program from comp.sources.unix, and it works
wonderfully.  You can do tape-to-tape, or you can save a tape image in a
file, so you can read a tape once, then write forever:

copytape /dev/rst8 some.file
copytape some.file /dev/rst8
copytape some.file /dev/rst8

Depending on the volume/deadlines you have, this might be a good choice.
If you have lots of identical tapes to make, you can set this going and
flip tapes as you pass by.  I even use copytape on a Sun to duplicate
Apollo cartridges.

--
Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

tankus@uunet.uu.net (Ed Tankus) (02/09/89)

You can also try one or both of the following vendors:

Mr. Bill Cohen
Coptech, Inc.
36 Commerce Way
Woburn, MA 01801
(WORK): (617) 935-COPY
(FAX): (617) 935-7673

Larry Janke
Cycle Software
6552 Edenvale Blvd.
Eden Prairie, MN 55346
(WORK): (612) 949-2606
(FAX): (612) 949-2604

I have used both vendors, but for different purposes.  Coptech has duped
our mag tapes and TK50's with great success.  Cycle Software has been
doing the bulk of our diskette duplication for the past 5 years.  I have
not tried either firms' cartridge duplication services as we do not
currently ship our products in the form factor.  However, I do not
hesitate to recommend either service.

Try them yourself.  They are most cooperative.