[comp.sys.sun] Fig and TransScript problems: The Solution

kusalik%SKLPL.USask.CA@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu (01/12/89)

I wrote earlier

>if we take the ... [fig] image, run it through f2ps, and spool to the
>laser writer, nothing comes out.

a number of people suggested that "showpage" was not at the end of the
f2ps output.  I checked.  Its there.

The problem however, seems to be with the header line
  %!PS-Adobe-1.0
For some reason if I replace this with just simply
  %!
the image comes out fine.

Could anyone fluent in postscript venture an explanation why?

asg@space.mit.edu (Sergei A. Gourevitch) (01/18/89)

There's a bug in f2ps source. I don't know if it has anything to do with
your problem. Here is the message I sent the program's author:
__________

Our version of f2ps crashes on Sun3s running OS3.4 but runs fine on a
SUN4.  A colleague of mine, Peter Ford  (pgf@space.mit.edu), found the
bug: line 110 needs the word "static" added so that it reads:

 	static F_compound	objects;

Thought you'd like to know.
__________

Sergei A. Gourevitch
MIT Center for Space Research	Inet:	asg@space.mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139		UUCP:	!mit-eddie!mit-space!asg
+1 617 253 8208

beck@cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (01/24/89)

Sergei A. Gourevitch writes:
>Our version of f2ps crashes on Sun3s running OS3.4 but runs fine on a
>SUN4.  A colleague of mine, Peter Ford  (pgf@space.mit.edu), found the
>bug: line 110 needs the word "static" added so that it reads:
>
> 	static F_compound	objects;

This is a somewhat roundabout fix to the problem that f2ps does not
intialize the F_comound structure to zero.  I suggest instead using
fig2ps, a version of f2ps which fixes this bug and has some other
extensions.  Fig2ps is part of the TransFig package which can be obtained
from svax.cs.cornell.edu via anonymous FTP in ~ftp/fig/transfig.tar.Z

While you're in that directory, you might want to check out fig-fs.tar.Z,
which is an enhanced version of Fig.

Micah Beck				beck@cs.cornell.edu
Department of Computer Science
Cornell University

jw@uunet.uu.net (Juerg Wanner) (01/26/89)

kusalik%SKLPL.USask.CA@cornellc.cit.cornell.edu writes:
>The problem however, seems to be with the header line
>  %!PS-Adobe-1.0
>For some reason if I replace this with just simply
>  %!
>the image comes out fine.

This has nothing to do with postscript but with the transcript software
which tries probably to reverse the pages if it sees the first header.

If the file starts with '%!PS-Adobe-' (I don't remember exactly how much
of this string is needed), your transcript package assumes that it
receives a conforming postscript file with appropriate comments in it
(page boundaries etc.).

Juerg Wanner

ralph@laas.laas.fr (Ralph P. Sobek) (02/11/89)

Yes, you can inhibit page-reversal even with '%!PS-Adobe-' PS files.

mcvax!owf!jw@uunet.uu.net (Juerg Wanner) writes:
> This has nothing to do with postscript but with the transcript software
> which tries probably to reverse the pages if it sees the first header.
>
> If the file starts with '%!PS-Adobe-'...

I just wanted to add that Transcript can be configured.  Replying to Juerg
Wanner's comments concerning page reversal, specifying 'REVERSE=' in the
printer's `option' file (on our system it's option but `man 8 transcript'
says that it's .option).  Looking thru transcript's printer shell scripts
as well as the man pages helps.

Ralph P. Sobek
ralph@laas.laas.fr
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try: