[comp.sys.sun] fsck doesn't check all filesystems

jdh@bu-it.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) (02/01/89)

Has anyone noticed that fsck sometimes only checks the root partition
(xy0a) when you boot multi-user ?  This has gotten me into trouble, when
we starting using filesystems that weren't clean.

The queer part is if you boot single-user and fsck manually with "fsck -p"
sometimes it will check all the filesystems - and sometimes it won't !  To
wit:

	> b -s
	[ boot stuff .. ]
	using xxx buffers..
	# /etc/fsck -p
	[ checks only xy0a ]
	# /etc/fsck -p
	[ checks all partitions - on both disks! ]
	# ^D
	Multiuser startup in progress...

The system in question is a Sun-3/180 SunOS 3.5 with a Xylogics 451
controller and two single eagle drives.  I haven't seen this on any other
of our Suns.

Jason Heirtzler
Boston University
Software Support

jdh@bu-it.bu.edu
(617) 353-2780

meier@mtap.src.honeywell.com (Christopher M. Meier) (02/15/89)

jdh@bu-it.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:
> Has anyone noticed that fsck sometimes only checks the root partition
> (xy0a) when you boot multi-user?...

Strangely enough, yes.  I noticed it for the first (and only) time 2 days
ago.  This was on a Sun-3/160 SunOS 3.5 with a ciprico-3200 (4drive)
controller using version 1.14 of their driver, on a newly installed 1.2Meg
sabre.

Any ideas?

@ Christopher M. Meier MN65-2300 Honeywell Systems & Research Center
@ 3660 Technology Drive          Mpls, MN  55418      (612) 782-7191
@ meier@SRC.Honeywell.COM | !srcsip!meier

whm@uunet.uu.net (Bill Mitchell) (02/16/89)

jdh@bu-it.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:

> Has anyone noticed that fsck sometimes only checks the root partition
> (xy0a) when you boot multi-user ?  This has gotten me into trouble, when
> we starting using filesystems that weren't clean.

I've seen something similar: Just after we brought up 4.0 an fsck -p
didn't check a couple of the filesystems it was supposed to.  As I recall,
we verified that the associated /etc/fstab entries indicated that the
filesystems should be checked.  We tried to reproduce the bug, but
couldn't.  We recounted this to Sun and after a day they got back to us
and suggested that we check the /etc/fstab entries...  We asked if they'd
file it as a suspected bug, but they refused.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Bill Mitchell				whm@sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm@arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 				{arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
602-885-7700

sklower@okeeffe.berkeley.edu (Keith Sklower) (02/28/89)

I had this happen on a 3.4 workstation which also had remote file systems
mounted.  One of the nfs lines in the fstab didn't have both frequency of
dumping information entries.  I would check the fstab very carefully,
deleting comments, blank lines, running fsck single user without -p to see
how far it got.