[comp.sys.sun] Sunview alert box cursor

john%hopf.math.nwu.edu@eecs.nwu.edu (John Franks) (02/14/89)

I have just installed SunOS 4.0 on a grayscale 3/110.  I noticed that when
an alert box appears (e.g. to confirm a quit), the arrow mouse cursor is
hard to see.  Actually it is given the background color so it effectively
punches a hole in the alert box.  If it is moved out of the box it is
really invisible and it can be difficult to get it back in the box.

I vaguely recalled reading something about this in sun-spots so I made a
search of our local archives.  Two people reported encountering this
problem (in 6.154 and 6.166) and one kind soul suggested it is a feature
(6.189).  Has anybody found a fix for this problem?

		Internet	john@math.nwu.edu
		Bitnet		j_franks@nuacc

dcall@amadeus.la.tek.com (Dale Call) (03/02/89)

john%hopf.math.nwu.edu@eecs.nwu.edu (John Franks) writes:
>I have just installed SunOS 4.0 on a grayscale 3/110.  I noticed that when
>an alert box appears (e.g. to confirm a quit), the arrow mouse cursor is
>hard to see.  Actually it is given the background color so it effectively
>punches a hole in the alert box.  If it is moved out of the box it is
>really invisible and it can be difficult to get it back in the box.

On a COLOR Sun 3/60 running Sun O/S 4.0, a fix is to invoke SunView with
either the -overlay_only or the -8bit_color_only flag.  In overlay_only
mode, the windows are only in the black and white overlay plane group.
The color mode puts them only in the color plane group (cursor turns red).
The overlay only mode will mess up color graphics, and the color only mode
is noticably slower (esp. text scrolling).  However, you no longer lose
the cursor.

See the sunview(1) manual page for more details.

Any better fixes out there?  Does 4.0.1 fix any of this?

Dale Call

montnaro@uunet.uu.net (Skip Montanaro) (03/09/89)

john%hopf.math.nwu.edu@eecs.nwu.edu (John Franks) writes the his cursor
disappears in alert boxes on his 3/110G running SunOS 4.0, to which
dcall@amadeus.la.tek.com (Dale Call) replies

   On a COLOR Sun 3/60 running Sun O/S 4.0, a fix is to invoke SunView with
   either the -overlay_only or the -8bit_color_only flag. [ other stuff
   deleted ]

   Any better fixes out there?  Does 4.0.1 fix any of this?

At the risk of being snooty, may I suggest a switch to NeWS? (semi :-)
Cursors consist of positive images and surrounding masks displayed in a
color contrasting the positive image, so no matter where your cursor is,
either the cursor or the surrounding mask is always visible. I believe,
although I'm not certain, that this is true of X as well.

Skip Montanaro (montanaro@sprite.steinmetz.ge.com, montanaro@ge-crd.arpa)