[comp.sys.sun] rlogins hanging under 4.0

debrunne%uirvld.csl.uiuc.edu@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Christian H. Debrunner) (02/14/89)

In v7n139 Danielle Heinzer <ESC1298@ESOC.BITNET> writes:

>Since one week, I have observed the following: I cannot rlogin the Sun
>3/260 file server in a shelltool from my Sun3/50. I see the motd and the
>prompter of the remote file server, but I cannot enter anything....

I have also had problems with rlogins, cmdtools, and shelltools hanging,
and I found that it only occurred when the pseudo-tty (pty) assigned to
the rlogin, cmdtool or shelltool was open for input or output in some
other (usually a background) process.

I saw two different failure modes.  The rlogin, cmdtool, or shelltool
either crashed when the first character was typed (it seemed to interpret
every character as a ^D), or it would seem to be in "raw" mode (no echo,
no CR -> NL mapping).  I sent a detailed report of how to recreate this
bug to the SUN hotline, but they were unable to reproduce it.  After I had
sent them several test cases that demonstrated the bug on our system, none
of which they could reproduce, they wrote to say they were "researching
the problem".  That was in November.

I have found two solutions (workarounds) to this problem:

1)  Stop (~ ^Z) the rlogin or close (but do not quit) the broken
    cmdtool or shelltool.  This will tie up the broken pseudo-tty (pty), so
    the next rlogin, cmdtool, or shelltool will use a different pty.  Repeat
    until you get a working one.  Note that if you kill the rlogin, cmdtool,
    or shelltool and start a new one, you will most likely get the same pty
    again and it will still not work.

2)  Find out which pty the rlogin, cmdtool or shelltool is using, and use
    that handiest of handy utilities "ofiles" (available in the archives) to
    find all processes which have that pty open.  If the processes in question
    are expendable (or easily restarted), kill them.  The problem can be
    avoided by running all background jobs with stdin, stdout and stderr
    redirected.  Since our users have started running their background
    jobs with all IO redirected, we have not seen any more hung ptys.

I realize that there are any number of other possible causes for the
symptoms described in the original note, but when I read that a shelltool
once hadn't worked on the server, it occurred to me that they might be
experiencing the hanging pty problem.

	Chris Debrunner
	debrunne@uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
	(217) 333-1368

siedelbe@stout.ucar.edu (Mike Siedelberg) (02/23/89)

I also have had this happen to a few of my sun 4s running 4.0 and other
sysmgrs at NCAR have mentioned it too.  It has always happened when a user
has left background processes running after logout.  The process seems
like it doesn't want to release the ttypx and as you say, the workaround
is to leave the rlogin process going and then rlogin on another pseudo
tty.  Also Sun says they cannot dupicate it.  Maybe we should gang up on
Sun :-).  I think I will at least call them back and say that I am not the
only one out here experiencing this prob.

mike siedelberg
Research Applications Program
Field Systems Group
Boulder, Co 80303
(303)497-2013
mike@toadwar.ucar.edu

pl@uunet.uu.net (Pertti Lehtinen) (03/08/89)

by siedelbe@stout.ucar.edu (Mike Siedelberg):
> I also have had this happen to a few of my sun 4s running 4.0 and other
> sysmgrs at NCAR have mentioned it too.  It has always happened when a user
> has left background processes running after logout.  The process seems
> like it doesn't want to release the ttypx and as you say, the workaround
> is to leave the rlogin process going and then rlogin on another pseudo
> tty.  Also Sun says they cannot dupicate it.  Maybe we should gang up on
> Sun :  -).  I think I will at least call them back and say that I am not the
> only one out here experiencing this prob.

We have also seen this happen.

Pseudo tty is reserved so, that when logging in it appears to be in raw
mode although stty says it is normal.

Using newline I am able to log in but all characters get mapped to EOF so
it does not help, as I get immediately logged out.

But when user with tcsh as login shell logs in, pseudo tty appears to work
ok.

And everytime this happens, there has been background processes on that
line.

	Pertti Lehtinen
	pl@tut.fi

pl@tut.fi
Pertti Lehtinen
Tampere University of Technology
Software Systems Laboratory

thorstad@wooglin.scc.com (Brian Thorstad) (03/08/89)

I also have a problem with rlogins hanging....  I have several Sun386i's,
and occasionally a login just hangs.  Tracing the csh session on the
remote side reveals that it is working (reading characters & thinging
about them), but is does NOT echo anything back to the screen.  I found
that a ^J (line feed??) is accepted as a line terminator, and can type
commands (without echo) followed by a ^J.  "exit^J" is what comes to mind
:-).

I have tried every stty option I could, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas?

Brian Thorstad
Contel Federal Systems
(thorstad@wooglin.scc.com)

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (03/16/89)

>Pseudo tty is reserved so, that when logging in it appears to be in raw
>mode although stty says it is normal.

See my previous posting.  The pseudo-tty is in "half-remote" mode; the
posting includes a program that can take it out of that mode.