[net.news.group] elementary posting rules

mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) (11/05/85)

Why aren't the following three rules enforced?

1) No automatic cross-posting (responses to the "first" or "best" of the
original's groups by default).

2) No automatic quoting of messages.  If people want to quote, make them
work hard to do it.  Maybe they'll find it easier to paraphrase.

3) No messages with less than X lines of content, for X on the order of
10.  Content is NOT quotes or signatures.  Maybe that would stop the
stupid "me too" message from being sent.

It seems a simple matter to add (or in case 2, subtract) the needed
functionality from the user software.  Wouldn't this help reduce useless
traffic?

	Michael Caplinger
	mike@bellcore.arpa
	ihnp4!bambi!mike

jpn@teddy.UUCP (11/06/85)

>Why aren't the following three rules enforced?
>
>3) No messages with less than X lines of content, for X on the order of
>10.  Content is NOT quotes or signatures.  Maybe that would stop the
>stupid "me too" message from being sent.

I find I can often make my point in less than 10 lines.  I just wish more
people would attempt to be concise.
	 (this posting is 9 lines long INCLUDING a quote)

avolio@decuac.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (11/06/85)

In article <202@bambi.UUCP>, mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) writes:

> It seems a simple matter to add (or in case 2, subtract) the needed
> functionality from the user software.  Wouldn't this help reduce useless
> traffic?

    Mike, take a look sometime at the list posted from Seismo of
"Known Versions of News" in existance.  People are running versions of
news that are 3 years old and 3 versions old. (For example, by the
header I see that site bambi runs news 2.10.1 created on 6/24/83.
2.10.2 has been around for over a year now.) Software changes for
enforcement of rules will never work since there is no way to make
people install them. (People don't, even when there are free and
better versions available!)

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/08/85)

In article <202@bambi.UUCP> mike@bambi.UUCP (Michael Caplinger) writes:
>Why aren't the following three rules enforced?
>2) No automatic quoting of messages.  If people want to quote, make them
>work hard to do it.  Maybe they'll find it easier to paraphrase.
>
>3) No messages with less than X lines of content, for X on the order of
>10.  Content is NOT quotes or signatures.  Maybe that would stop the
>stupid "me too" message from being sent.
>	Michael Caplinger

If someone has to insert a quote by "hand" (i.e., including a file containing
a saved article), how could the program possibly tell that the quote is
not "content"? By checking through every article in every newsgroup to see
if one of them happens to contain the quoted material?

If anything, it seems that this would increase volume, since any posting
shorter than 10 would have to be padded out. (And I can imagine the traffic
in semi-illicit programs that would automatically save an article, include
it in a file, add the >'s before each line of the quote, pad the article if
shorter than 10 lines, etc..., that would develop if this idea came through.)

By the way, wouldn't making it "easier to paraphrase" A) discourage point-
by-point rebuttal (effectively meaning that whoever posted the first article
can never be completely rebutted) and B) make it easier to misquote, also?

PS: I am pleased to announce that Johns Hopkins no longer prohibits reading
of net.news or net.news.group, though other groups such as most other
net.news.* subgroups and net.unix are still on the proscribed list.
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET
ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/12/85)

In <1131@jhunix.UUCP> ins_akaa@jhunix.ARPA (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) writes:
>PS: I am pleased to announce that Johns Hopkins no longer prohibits reading
>of net.news or net.news.group, though other groups such as most other
>net.news.* subgroups and net.unix are still on the proscribed list.

This is more bizarre than anything ever in net.bizarre was... Anybody
ever see a rational explanation for this sort of thing? Why anybody
would restrict access to stuff like the new-site announcements in
net.news.config or the technical info in net.unix is completely beyond
me... Muchly strangeness...      Will