[comp.sys.sun] How well HP and SUNs work together

stpeters@uunet.uu.net (03/08/89)

hplabs!burdick@hpindda.hp.com (Matt Burdick) writes:
>Terminal support:
>
>	HP-UX uses terminfo while SUN uses termcap.

This isn't quite correct - and isn't fair to *either* vendor.  HP does use
terminfo but provides termcap emulation.  I haven't tried it and don't
know how transparent it is.

Suns can use either termcap or terminfo and come with both.  I haven't
tried Sun's terminfo and don't know how transparent its use is.

However, where the Sun shines (if you'll pardon the expression) is that
you get utilities for converting between terminfo and termcap.  These I
have used, and they're lifesavers.  Thanks to these, our Suns have an HP
termcap entry, and our HPs have a Sun terminfo.

For those who need to mix and match, "/usr/5bin/infocmp -C" run on an
NFS-mounted HP compiled terminfo file generates a termcap entry.  To
generate a Sun terminfo entry on an HP, run /usr/5bin/captoinfo on the Sun
termcap to get terminfo source, then tic (compile) the source on either a
Sun or HP.  Both Sun and HP provide both tic and untic.

Dick St.Peters
GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY
stpeters@ge-crd.arpa
uunet!steinmetz!stpeters

aad@stepstone.com (Anthony A. Datri) (03/08/89)

hplabs!burdick@hpindda.hp.com (Matt Burdick) writes:
>	SUN's file system supports long file names (255 character names)
>	only.  HP-UX supports both long and short file names (14 character
>	names).  Short file names are supported because some applications
>	do not expect file names to be any longer than 14 characters.  The
>	catch is that once you convert a file system from short file names
>	to long file names, it isn't possible to reverse the process.

You would seem to imply that a filesystem with long filenames would
*require* filenames to be over 14 characters.

>	'nobody' to 0 rather than -2.  Note that this patches the bits in
>	the /hp-ux file rather than the running kernel.  Therefore, to use
>	it you must reboot the system:
>
>		#!/bin/sh
>		/bin/adb -w /hp-ux <<-"END_SEMI_CLUSTER"
>		        nobody?W 0
>		END_SEMI_CLUSTER

My 6.2 hp-ux has an "_nobody", but no "nobody"

>	HP-UX systems allow either IEEE 802.3 or Ethernet packets on the
>	LAN.

According to my documentation, Ethernet level 1 or 802.3.  No level 2.
Our HP 9000/320 drops 95-98% of the packets when I spray it remotely.

>	HP-UX uses terminfo while SUN uses termcap.

HP-UX, as far as I can tell, prefers the terminfo files, and the libraries
use them.  There's a /etc/termcap file there as well, for applications
that look at it directly.  As I understand it, SunOS uses the termcap file
when you call termcap routines, and terminfo files if you call terminfo
routines, although I've never run a Sun in SysV mode.

>	vice-versa).  For purists, there is an 'lpr' script that is a
>	wrapper around 'lp' that can be used (I'm not sure if it's shipped
>	with HP-UX or not, though).

Our 6.2 has the lpr script, but I can't figure out from the man pages how
to get it to interact with our remote lpd.

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

aad@stepstone.com (Anthony A. Datri) (03/23/89)

>>	HP-UX uses terminfo while SUN uses termcap.

>This isn't quite correct - and isn't fair to *either* vendor.  HP does use
>terminfo but provides termcap emulation.  I haven't tried it and don't
>know how transparent it is.

I've compiled microemacs using it, and it seems to work fine.  What I
can't seem to do is figure out what kind of a terminal to call our console
outside of a window manager.

>However, where the Sun shines (if you'll pardon the expression) is that
>you get utilities for converting between terminfo and termcap.  These I
>have used, and they're lifesavers.  Thanks to these, our Suns have an HP
>termcap entry, and our HPs have a Sun terminfo.

I think our 9000/320 (6.02, 6.2) had a sun entry to begin with.  I haven't
figured out just what HP entry I need elsewhere, though.  IBM's AIX, for
example, has a few IBM and DEC terminals, and very little else.  There are
cap <-> info tools publically available, I believe.

>For those who need to mix and match, "/usr/5bin/infocmp -C" run on an
>NFS-mounted HP compiled terminfo file generates a termcap entry.

For Sun people who are wondering why they don't have a /usr/5bin, it's
part of the sysV compatibility subset, which you may not have loaded.