[comp.sys.sun] MIDI and Unix

tynor%pyr@gatech.edu (Steve Tynor) (03/14/89)

kek1135@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I too have been interested in porting MIDI software to Unix

I just bought a Sun 386i for home use.  I too am planning on using it for
MIDI.  Fortunately, the 386i has a PC/AT bus so I should be able to
install an MPU-401 (or clone) and write a Unix device driver for it. I
haven't actually _tried_ this yet (I've never written a device driver for
Unix and I hear that it can be a nightmare...)

I'm well on my way to having a graphic score editor built on SunView, but
I have not yet addressed the MIDI device/real time issues.

So... Are there any other 386i/MIDI users (or potential users) out there?
Has anyone from MIT (CSOUND) or CMU (the MIDI Toolkit) played with the Sun
386i?

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu

rwu@bellcore.bellcore.com (03/30/89)

tynor@gitpyr.gatech.edu writes:
> So... Are there any other 386i/MIDI users (or potential users) out there?

You might want to talk to Peter Langston (201) 829-4332, psl@bellcore.com
He has written a MIDI driver for a Roland box on the SUN 386i and has
quite a lot of software for it.

				Ron Underwood
			UUCP:	bellcore!rwu
			ARPA:	rwu@bellcore.com