[comp.sys.sun] "New" awk in SunOS

chuq@apple.com (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/09/89)

>Does anyone know when Sun plans to put the new AT&T (SVR3.1) awk into
>SunOS?  I sure could use it, but, unless it's part of a standard release,
>am probably better off not depending on it.

It'll be part of a future release. Unless they've changed names on it, it
should be in 4.1, along with HoneyDanBer.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach       -*-      Editor,OtherRealms      -*-      Member SFWA
chuq@apple.com  -*-  CI$: 73317,635  -*-  Delphi: CHUQ  -*-  Applelink: CHUQ

arnold@emory.mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (03/15/89)

In article <466@salgado.stan.UUCP> you write:
>Does anyone know when Sun plans to put the new AT&T (SVR3.1) awk into
>SunOS?  I sure could use it, but, unless it's part of a standard release,
>am probably better off not depending on it.

You have two options. 1) Get GNU awk, which is nawk compatible and is
GNUware. If you find bugs, let us know. 2) Get nawk from the AT&T
Toolchest.  Source code is $300, binary relicensing is $5000.

 Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center
 DOMAIN: arnold@unix.cc.emory.edu
 UUCP: gatech!emory!arnold	PHONE:	+1 404 727-7636
 BITNET: arnold@emoryu1		FAX:	+1 404 727-2599

itwaf@gatech.edu (Bill Fulton [Sys Admin]) (04/04/89)

>In article <466@salgado.stan.UUCP> you write:
>>Does anyone know when Sun plans to put the new AT&T (SVR3.1) awk into
>>SunOS?  I sure could use it, but, unless it's part of a standard release,
>>am probably better off not depending on it.

Pardon me if I'm coming in late to this discussion, but ...  I ran into
some problems with awk and submitted a hotline to Sun about it.  The
response I got (yes ... I got a response!) was that they would be
supporting 'nawk' (i.e. the 'new' awk) in the 4.1 SUNOS release.  (I
particularly need the system() and close() functions)

BTW, I've also heard that they will be adding ksh (Korn shell) to SUNOS
(4.1?), also.  (YEAH!!!)

I know this has been asked in this newsgroup before, but does anyone know
where I can get a version of ksh to run under 3.X SUNOS? I am already
aware of the following:

    > Source is available from AT&T toolkit.
      (Problem: Reasonable price, but it's still a lot of bucks, and I
      don't want to have to maintain it)
    > Aspen Technologies sells a version for Sun 3/ and 4/ machines.
      (Problem: I also support 2/ series machines, and need a homogeneous
      environment).
    > Apparantly, a public domain version is newly available.
      (Problem: Reliability and maintenance.)

If you will email me responses, I will post any new info received.

thanks,
Bill Fulton
..!gatech!dcatla!itwaf

arnold@emory.mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) writes:
> ... nawk from the AT&T Toolchest.  Source code is $300, binary relicensing

Does anyone have any experience getting the source to work under SUNOS?
Is it hard to port from SysV, or is it 'plug & play'?  (I would guess it's
a pretty generic system interface)

That's a great price, and I need the nawk functionality, but I've got
enough development projects!

Thanks,
Bill Fulton
..!gatech!dcatla!itwaf