[comp.sys.sun] NFS booting code

ldm@nuchat.uu.net (Lyle Meier) (03/29/89)

boulder!fesk!arch@handies.ucar.edu (Arch Mott) writes:
> I feel that one of the nicer things SUN has done with 4.0 is the inclusion

The question posed was has sun relased the code needed to do this to other
vendors. I know of the following vendor who is currently providing this
service, to indicate that it is avalilable.

In their v 7.0 release of their unix Convex has distributed all the
support needed, and while I have not actually tried it everything that is
needed appears to be their, bootparmd etc. I understand there were two
releases from sun, 1 to boot and one with the v 4.0 nfs features
otherwise.  I guess one of the problems is the release and timeing
schedule for the other vendors with respect to suns schedule.

jthomp@central.sun.com (Jim Thompson Sun Dallas SWAN Engineer) (03/29/89)

boulder!fesk!arch@handies.ucar.edu (Arch Mott):
>> I feel that one of the nicer things SUN has done with 4.0 is the inclusion
>> of boot service in NFS as opposed to nd. However, when I talk to non-Sun
>> vendors about their diskless workstations which run NFS they all have the
>> same reply: Gee, we're sorry but Sun has yet to distribute the NFS boot
>> code to us folks with NFS Licenses.

I can't belive that's true.  Convex licenses NFS from SMI, and *they*
support booting diskless workstations via the 4.0 scheme.  Diskless NFS
support is available in Version 7.0 of Convex OS.

I speak neither for Convex, (where I used to work,) not Sun, (where I work
now.)  I just know this little tidbit.

						Jim

bzs@bu-cs.bu.edu (Barry Shein) (04/07/89)

From: jthomp@central.sun.com (Jim Thompson  Sun Dallas SWAN Engineer)
>I can't belive that's true.  Convex licenses NFS from SMI, and *they*
>support booting diskless workstations via the 4.0 scheme.  Diskless NFS
>support is available in Version 7.0 of Convex OS.

I'll second that, at Encore we put up the Sun boot code on the Multimax a
few months ago. You have to be an NDE licensee or something like that,
mostly just a matter of cutting a check and filling out a form.  --

	-Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die

There's nothing more terrifying to hardware vendors than
satisfied customers.