[comp.sys.sun] Editors

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) (02/23/89)

ileaf!ebr@eddie.mit.edu (Evan B. Ross) writes:
>        ......         Does anybody know of any decent programmer's editors
> for unix/sun besides Emacs?  I've tried my hand at gnuemacs, but I have
> found it much to slow and cumbersome.

I recently went through a search for something that was more to my
background on PC's & many other "big" machines.  I settled for the Grand
Editor, a derivative of Rand Editor (re, ned, etc).  It supports multiple
simultaneous files, multiple windows, remappable keyboard, and a fairly
intuitive interface.  It is available for attractive site licensing (but
they make their money off the manual's).

Also available on the net (uunet!rand!editor)

-phil miller
phil@wubios.WUstl.edu

day@uunet.uu.net (Dave Yost) (03/11/89)

make that uunet!grand!editor or editor@grand.COM

aarons%cogs.sussex.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk (Aaron Sloman) (04/19/89)

phil@wubios.wustl.edu (J. Philip Miller) writes:

> ileaf!ebr@eddie.mit.edu (Evan B. Ross) writes:
> >        ......         Does anybody know of any decent programmer's editors
> > for unix/sun besides Emacs?  I've tried my hand at gnuemacs, but I have
> > found it much to slow and cumbersome.
>
> I recently went through a search for something that was more to my
> background on PC's & many other "big" machines.  I settled for the Grand
> Editor, a derivative of Rand Editor (re, ned, etc).

Poplog users (researchers, students and software developers) regularly use
the VED editor on a variety of Sun systems for producing documentation,
browsing Poplog online documentation, developing and testing software,
reading and sending mail and news items, general purpose interface between
programs and user, etc.

In the USA and Canada it is available from

    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Dept. of Computer and Information Science
    Lederle Graduate Research Center
    University of Massachusetts
    Amherst, MA  01003, USA

Email pop@cs.umass.edu

or
    Prof Robin Popplestone
    Computable Functions Inc.,
    35 South Orchard Drive,
    Amherst, MA 01002, USA      Phone(413) 253-7637