[comp.sys.sun] name server NAMED running on SUNOS 3.5

woods@handies.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (04/19/89)

In article <8903141656.AA26050@rice.edu> MARDEL@FRSAC11.BITNET writes:

>Has anyone experienced named ( internet domain name server ) with Sunos
>3.5 ?

Yes, I have two 3.5 systems here running BIND version 4.8 and sendmail
version 5.61. I didn't have any problems with named, but I did have some
problems getting the resolver to work properly. resolv.conf files that
worked under 4.0 did not work under 3.5. Under 4.0 all I needed was a
"domain" line, but under 3.5 if I put that in then "nslookup" always
returned with an error that "default servers are not available". If I put
in the "nameserver" line (with the local host's IP address) then nslookup
would work but sendmail would fail unless I removed the "domain" line.
What I ended up having to do was to hack nslookup and hardwire in the
domain instead of getting it from resolv.conf, and setting up the
nameserver line in resolv.conf. Then both sendmail and nslookup were
happy.

--Greg