[comp.sys.sun] disconnectable console cct

SYSRUTH@utorphys.bitnet (Ruth Milner, Systems Manager x2746) (04/21/89)

In v7n215, steven kishaba (sacto!empm2!kishaba@sun.com) writes:

> ... it doesn't seem to work...there is no voltage on pin
> 25 of our sun board (ttya) to pull up the other line.

We have had this particular circuit in place since September, on a Sun
3/180, a Sun 4/280, and three Sun 4/110's, sharing two VT220's between
them. It works like a charm. We have had no problems at all plugging in
whichever system we want to talk to the console while leaving the others
unplugged and running.

If the circuit depends on pin 25 having voltage, then there may be
something wrong with your Sun's tty lines. We never checked this; it
worked the first time we tried it. The other thing to be sure of, though,
is that you have pins 2 & 3 crossed between the Sun and your VT100. It
definitely won't work if they aren't.

Ruth Milner
Systems Manager
University of Toronto Physics

sysruth@utorphys                sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca
(BITNET)                            (Internet)