[comp.sys.sun] Sun 4/260 upgrade to FPU2

ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu (Dan Ehrlich) (04/22/89)

In article <469@caldwr.UUCP>, ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch@ucbvax (Ralph Finch) writes:
>I received a press release from Sun a few days ago about the floating
>point upgrade available.  It will be standard on all new Sun 4 machines,
>and for $3000 the Sun 4/110 can be upgraded.  When I inquired about the
>cost for a Sun 4/260, I was told by the local rep that /260s cannot be
>upgraded!  I quote him: "I imagine that at some point customer presser
>[sic] may change this, however there is no guess as to when."
>Is this information correct?  If so, is anybody else bothered by this?
>What sort of customer pressure is needed to change the situation?

There is supposedly a `cpu board swap upgrade' that will be available for
4/260s and 4/280s.  SUN is planning a big announcement April 12th and I am
under the impression that this will also be announced at that time.  This
is purely rumor.  But `consumer pressure' is always a good way to get a
sales organizations attention.

By the way.  If anyone is wondering why a SUN sales rep hasn't returned
any phone calls this weeks it's because the entire national sale force for
the US is in Atlanta learning about the things to be announced on April
12th.

Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@shire.cs.psu.edu>
The Pennsylvania State University
Department of Computer Science