[comp.sys.sun] bold & inverse curses

meo@gatech.edu (Miles O'Neal) (04/04/89)

In article <8903032033.AA01156@amadeus.mitre.org> fkuhl@amadeus.mitre.org (F. S. Kuhl) writes:
>... curses seems to support only a 'standout' mode that can
>be either bold or inverse, but it doesn't appear to have another mode.
>Are we missing something?  Is there a way to add a mode to curses?

The Berkeley curses does not (unless there's something new), but the
System V (R2 and on, at least) have been enhanced in several ways,
including multiple-terminal (simultaneously from a program) support and
enhanced attribute control. In the Sun manuals, see man page for curses
under the System V libraries, or, in the _Programming Utilities and
Libraries_ manual, chapter 13 (System V curses and terminfo), and checkout
the attron(), atroff(), and attrset() calls.

-Miles O'Neal (gatech!stiatl!meo)

guy@uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) (04/21/89)

>We want to create normal text, bold text, and inverse text, but curses
>seems to support only a 'standout' mode that can be either bold or
>inverse, but it doesn't appear to have another mode.  Are we missing
>something?

No.  The "curses" that comes with 4.xBSD - which is one of the ones that
comes with SunOS as well - supports only "standout" mode.

>Is there a way to add a mode to curses?

Well, you could grab the source from a 4.xBSD system and modify it to
support another mode....

The System V "curses" supports multiple modes; it's the other one of the
ones that come with SunOS.  Unfortunately, it's a bit tricky to use it if
you don't compile in the System V environment, since its library has the
same name as the BSD one, as does its include file.  (There are some
incompatibilities, so the S5 one wasn't just used as a replacement for the
BSD one.)

donn@rice.edu (Donn Baumgartner) (04/26/89)

In article <3851@stiatl.UUCP> stiatl!meo@gatech.edu (Miles O'Neal) writes:
>In article <8903032033.AA01156@amadeus.mitre.org> fkuhl@amadeus.mitre.org (F. S. Kuhl) writes:
>>... curses seems to support only a 'standout' mode that can
>>be either bold or inverse, but it doesn't appear to have another mode.
>>Are we missing something?  Is there a way to add a mode to curses?
>
>The Berkeley curses does not (unless there's something new), but the
>System V (R2 and on, at least) have been enhanced in several ways,
>including multiple-terminal (simultaneously from a program) support and
>enhanced attribute control....

Various versions of (Ken Arnold's) libcurses have been enhanced over the
years to support all sorts of things... I did one such 'enhancement'.  The
curses I support, supports multiple character attributes, colors, & fonts.
It has additional support for box drawing characters, as well.  The screen
drawing optimization routines have added support for (now) more common
display features, and in general are more likely to give minimal i/o (at
the expense, at times, of a few more cpu cycles).  I've added a lot of
things over the last 7 years, some of which I am currently forgetting to
mention... but I do have a document describing the entire package.  There
are #ifdef's for about six varieties of unix, so I claim the package is
very portable.

If you're interested, send me a note and I package it up and send it to
you.  (I'm not aware of any bugs in it..., but would gladly fix any found
- as time permits.  Any more I only keep this around for historical
reasons, and rogue).

	- Donn Baumgartner
	donn@rice.edu