[comp.sys.sun] Exabyte tape drive installation

chuck@wooglin.scc.com (Charles Williams) (04/22/89)

First, thanks to everybody who responded to my request for help with the
exabyte drive.

Now, here's how I have everything installed.

1) Install the s/w patch tape that comes with the tape drive as per the
   instructions provided.

2) Shutdown the system

3) Install the internal to external SCSI connector.
	- remove the card cage plate from the internal to external SCSI
	  adaptor (the adaptor comes attatched to a back plate that could be
	  screwed into the system cabinet card cage.

	- remove the top and left (as you face the unit) panels from the
	  system cabinet

	- remove the SCSI terminators on the 1/4" 60Mb cartridge tape

            |                        ------------  |
            |                        |       ===|  |
            |                        |          |  |
            |                        |       ===|  |
            |                        ------------  |
       ------                                      |

	- The figure above is a side view of the 3/260 system cabinet. The
	  '='s show the location of the SCSI terminators (note the 1/4 tape
	  drive is iin front of the controller card.)

	- Run the head of the internal-external SCSI bus through the slot
          in the top of the system cabinet. Connect the head (making sure that
	  pin 1 matches pin 1 (the red stripes on the ribbon cable)).

	- Make sure the ribbon cable is laying flat across the top of the system
	  cabinet. Replace the side and top panels being sure not to fasten the
	  top panel screws too tight.

	- Place the SCSI adaptor on top of the system cabinet so it does not
	  block the fans.

4) Change the exabyte device address to st1.
	- remove the exabyte cover.

	- set DIP switches 1 and 3 to ON

5) Make sure all connections are correct.

6) Power up the Exabyte, waiting for both the red and green led's to light up.

7) Boot the Sun. Once the Sun boots the exabyte LED's should both be off
   (unless you have a tape loaded, in which case the green LED is on).

8) Be sure that st1 shows up in the boot messages. If not add it to your kernel
   and rebuild.

9) Make sure the /dev/rst1 and /dev/nrst1 exist. If not then:
	cd /dev
	MAKEDEV st1

10) test the drive.

Chuck Williams
Contel Federal Systems

kg@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Ken Greer) (04/25/89)

Important information about booting a system with Exabytes...

I learned this from a knowledgable technician, after months of wierd
problems and of support calls.  It ain't in the manual and may apply to
BSD UNIX systems with autoconfigure code only, not sure...

1. When booting your system, you must(!!) have a tape in the Exabyte unit.
   A tape must be in the unit to pass the self test!!!!

2. After power up, the controller gets tickled and goes through a
   self test procedure which takes 1-2 minutes!  I shall repeat --
   a tape must be in the Exabyte unit to pass the self test!

   The Exabyte drive lights should go from
		Off
		Yellow+Green
		Off
		Green Only

3. It is only at the "Green Only" state that you can load UNIX
   and have it do its auto-configure thing!

Failure to wait for the Green-Only light leads to chaos.

Our procedure on a MicroVax is to leave the auto-boot switch to manual:

	1. Power on.
	2. Inital boot load, and get the prompt:

	3. Wait a couple minutes while the Exabytes thinks.
	4. When the Green light only comes on, boot UNIX.

It's been working like a charm ever since!

Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.
{ames,uunet}!elan!kg
415-964-2200

craigp@summus.UUCP (Craig LeRoy Petty) (04/27/89)

In article <8903292255.AA16698@rice.edu>, BEGEMAN@MCOIARC.BITNET writes:
> I took out
> the existing board in slot 7 of the Sun and placed the TTi board in (which
> I then tried to reboot the system, and
> it gets to the point of printing "Auto-Boot in progress" and then just
> hangs there forever.

Summus ships an enhanced version of the same controller/driver with its
2.3GB product (that is, the "Gigatape" :-) ) so the installation procedure
should be the same if TTI hasn't modified it.

We do not recommend that you remove the original SCSI board (I'm not even
sure if the system could boot off the other SCSI). There is no reason they
cannot both exist in the same system.  Try rebooting, but this time put
the original SCSI board back in its slot, and the new one in any available
slot.  Be sure to remove the backplane jumpers (BUS GRANT 3 and IACK) for
that slot.

It should atleast boot properly now.  If the system doesn't detect the
controller double check your config file. It should include something
like:

controller rfsdc0 at vme16d32 ? csr 0x???? priority vector rfsdintr 0xF8
tape rfsd0 at rfsdc0 drive 40 flags 0x211
(the csr shouxld be a valid vme address not in use, and set properly on
the SCSI board)

This is assuming they left the naming conventions intact, that the Exabyte
is the only device on the bus, and that the Exabyte target id is set to 5.
You will have to consult your installation guide for other configurations.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.  In short, don't replace the original
SCSI!

Good Luck

Craig Petty                   uucp: uunet!summus!craigp  (for fun & frolic)
Summus Computer Systems             uunet!summus!info    (for product info &
17171 Park Row	                   	                   support)
Houston TX 77084
1-713-492-6611