[comp.sys.sun] New sun?

timl@maxwell.concordia.ca (03/30/89)

I have been hearing all sorts of things about a new sun PC like machine.
In fact, even BYTE has heard of it.  It is billed as a "next killer" by
some, and very low priced by others.  So if anybody knows anything about
this new machine, I would appreciate information on it.

gfr@cobra.mitre.org (Glenn Roberts) (04/21/89)

> I have been hearing all sorts of things about a new sun PC like machine.
> In fact, even BYTE has heard of it.  It is billed as a "next killer" by
> some, and very low priced by others.  So if anybody knows anything about
> this new machine, I would appreciate information on it.

Could you be referring to the Sun 386i?  Introduced about a year ago this
machine is based on the 80386 chip and runs both DOS and Unix applications
in the SunView environment.  It has been written up in Byte (was on the
cover about 4-6 months ago) and is frequently discussed in Sun-Spots
digest.

Other new machines haven't been announced yet.  The 'big rollout' of new
hardware is scheduled for early to mid April.  Watch Sun-Spots for details
of machines when they're announced.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corporation, McLean, VA
  gfr@cobra.mitre.org

andrew@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca (Andrew Patrick) (05/05/89)

In article <8903302300.AA03975@cobra.mitre.org> gfr@cobra.mitre.org
(Glenn Roberts) writes:
>> I have been hearing all sorts of things about a new sun PC like machine.
>> In fact, even BYTE has heard of it.  It is billed as a "next killer" by
>> some, and very low priced by others.  So if anybody knows anything about
>> this new machine, I would appreciate information on it.
>
>Could you be referring to the Sun 386i?  Introduced about a year ago this
>machine is based on the 80386 chip and runs both DOS and Unix applications
>in the SunView environment.  It has been written up in Byte (was on the
>cover about 4-6 months ago) and is frequently discussed in Sun-Spots
>digest.

I think the articles have been referring to Sun's new RISC machine, the
SPARCstation 1.  The press release I received (dated April 18) states that
this machine runs at 20 megahertz to produce 12.5 MIPS (1.4 MFLOPS), with
a footprint smaller than a PC.  The machine supports internal hard drives
(2), a 3.5 inch floopy (DOS compatible), digital audio (in and out), 2
serial ports, Ethernet, SCSI.  There will also be an optional DOS emulator
and graphics accelerator.  The SPARCstation 1 uses a new bus (the SBus)
and has 3 3 X 5" expansion slots.

Base price for 17" mono, diskless, 8MB RAM is (unofficially) $12,800CDN.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.         Communications Research Centre
  (613) 990-4675              Department of Communications, Ottawa, Canada