[comp.sys.sun] printer recommendation for small Sun network

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (03/30/89)

eli@chipcom.com (chipcom!eli@spdcc.com) writes:
>hi -- what sort of printer would you recommend for a small network of Sun
>3s (4 workstations, 2 with disk)?
>But is it possible to convert postscript into HP Laserjet bitmap language?

Get a PostScript printer.  More and more, people are moving to PostScript
as a standard format.  While it is possible to convert PostScript to HPGL
in some horribly tedious fashion, why not go with the real thing?  It is
easier (I'll bet) to go from HPGL to PostScript than vice versa.

PostScript is becoming an easy way to distribute complex documents
electronically.  I only ship tooltool documentation in PostScript, and DEC
recently put the DecStation 3100 techinical reports on the net in
PostScript.  All major doc-gen tools generate PostScript.  PostScript is
the way to go.

My recommendation is a LaserWriter IINTX.  We have put about 40,000 pages
through ours in the last nine months or so without a single glitch or
problem.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

aad@stepstone.com (Anthony A. Datri) (04/22/89)

>eli@chipcom.com (chipcom!eli@spdcc.com) writes:
>>hi -- what sort of printer would you recommend for a small network of Sun
>>3s (4 workstations, 2 with disk)?

>Get a PostScript printer.

Ditto.  My predecessors decided to buy lots of Interleaf, and I think at
that time Interleaf wouldn't print to anything but an Imagen, so they
bought an Imagen.  I can't even figure out a way to specify a non-default
point size.  PostScript is a big win.  Sun sells (or at least used to)
repackaged Laserwriters, and they developed NeWS.  With the upcoming
X11/NeWS server, I'll bet PostScript integrates neatly.  Transcript is a
nice package to drive the printer, but there are also cheaper and free
alternatives out there, but I can't say more because I haven't seen them
running.

>My recommendation is a LaserWriter IINTX.

I'd recommend a LaserWriter as well.  If you budget's tight, a used LW+
might be a good idea.  Beware that the SC model *isn't PostScript*, so it
should be avoided for your application.

I've heard that Interleaf's PS support uses LW-specific code.  GRRRRRRRR.
Our Imagen dealer tried to sell us Imagen's UltraScript for our printer,
but we could buy a whole new LaserWriter for what they wanted to charge
us.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) (05/05/89)

In article <3102@stpstn.UUCP> Anthony A. Datri wrote:
>Our Imagen dealer tried to sell us Imagen's UltraScript for our printer,
>but we could buy a whole new LaserWriter for what they wanted to charge us.

Imagen's pricing is a real rip-off; QMS, their parent company via
acquisition, makes a line of PS-based laser-printers at sensible prices.
Since we have an Imagen at Columbia's Digital VLSI, we can't just unload
it 'cos of the money we've pumped into it already (we bought it years ago,
when they were the only network-able lp around).

 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
					> gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.EDU
	"SLAINTE MHATH!"		> gld@cunixc.BITNET

[[ But the 2308 is probably one of the fastest P*stscript printers around.  It
does it's work with three 68000's:  while one is reading from the cable,
the second is doing page composition and the third is actually driving the
print engine.  It can actually drive the engine at its rated speed.
(Enough!  This isn't laser-lovers.)  --wnl ]]