[comp.sys.sun] Followup to reg@lti's "bizarre situation"

talmage@bu-it.bu.edu (David Talmage) (05/05/89)

Repeater.

A while ago Chris Wilson, munnari!adl.austek.oz.au!cwilson@uunet.UU.NET,
asked us about problems with Suns and ShineNet ethernet repeaters.  His
problem description was so close to the one we had then at lti that I
wrote to him to learn more.  Below is Chris's reply:

>I now have some more information on this. The ShineNet repeaters are
>based on BICC repeaters and the problem is common to all of them. The
>cause is the different crystals controlling the timing in the
>repeaters and the ethernet interfaces on the Suns. Both are in spec
>but at opposite ends of the allowable range. Hence the problem. I have
>information from both Sun Australia and my local supplier of the
>ShineNet this is the problem. Some guy in Holland also had the same
>problem and was also told it was the crystals.

>BICC have been talking to Sun about this and have an alternative
>crystal set available for their repeaters (according to Sun) which
>fixes the problem. ShineNet are preparing a crystal set at this very
>moment and it should be available soon. So I have the same diagnosis
>and solution from 3 sources. I suggest you contact whoever supplied
>your BICC and ask for a replacement crystal. On the ShineNet repeaters
>the crystals are alleged to be field (user?) replaceable,

>Chris Wilson
>Austek Microsystems Pty. Ltd.
>Technology Park
>Adelaide, SA 5095

One telephone call to BICC later, I disovered that what Chris said is true.
BICC sent a loaner 1125 for me to use while mine is repaired under
warranty.  Sho' 'nuf, when I put in the new 1125, network performance
improved tremendously!

David Talmage

David W. Talmage, Systems Programmer		...!{buita,bbn}!lti!talmage
Language Technology, Inc.			talmage%lti.uucp@bu-it.bu.edu
27 Congress St., Salem, MA 01970		(508) 741-1507