[comp.sys.sun] New Sun announcements and pricing

steve@umiacs.umd.edu (05/05/89)

As Steve Grandi points out, Sun is, as of the April product announcement,
the price/performance leader in the industry...  for those of you who pay
list.  I won't discuss specific discount levels here, but suffice to say
that certain universities can buy DECstation 3100s for around, if not
*under*, the price of a SPARCstation 1.

This is from the pricing rumors floating around, and could change when
SPARCstation pricing numbers firm up.  As always, your mileage may vary.

I can't wait to get in and benchmark the SPARCstation series, so I do a
pure hardware-to-hardware comparison.  Maybe next week...

	-Steve

Spoken: Steve Miller    Domain: steve@mimsy.umd.edu    UUCP: uunet!mimsy!steve
Phone: +1-301-454-1808  USPS: UMIACS, Univ. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

uucp@cs.buffalo.edu (05/06/89)

steve@umiacs.umd.edu writes:
> As Steve Grandi points out, Sun is, as of the April product announcement,
> the price/performance leader in the industry...  for those of you who pay
> list.

If the MIPS claimed by SUN for this series are the same kind of MIPS
quoted for the first (SPARC-based) SUN 4, then the only price/performance
lead SUN has is in its marketing.

> I won't discuss specific discount levels here, but suffice to say
> that certain universities can buy DECstation 3100s for around, if not
> *under*, the price of a SPARCstation 1.

Why not ?  Did you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement to get a price
list ? :-)

  greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny