[comp.sys.sun] New cron problem

galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu (04/25/89)

6 of 7 of our 3/280 server's crons stopped working yesterday, as far as we
could tell.  The symptom was that mail stopped being sent (we run a
mail-sweeper from cron).  The last mail messages to be sent seemed to have
been transfered early in the morning on April 2.  Killing all the crons
and restarting them solved the problem, but I have a theory that the
Daylight Savings Time change caused cron to stop correctly processing the
crontab files.  cron still showed up in a "ps" listing, so that isn't a
valid way to check.

Just thought I'd warn folks that there might be a problem with SunOS 4.0.1
cron since the time change.

					      --Peter

Peter Baer Galvin       		      (203)432-1254
Senior Systems Programmer, Yale Univ. C.S.    galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu
51 Prospect St, P.O.Box 2158, Yale Station    ucbvax!decvax!yale!galvin-peter
New Haven, Ct   06457			      galvin-peter@yalecs.bitnet

paul@philabs.philips.com (Paul Evan Matz) (05/08/89)

In article <55826@yale-celray.yale.UUCP> galvin-peter@cs.yale.edu writes:

>... but I have a theory that the
>Daylight Savings Time change caused cron to stop correctly processing the
>crontab files.

We got pounded by that one too.  The hourly jobs stopped working.  Those
running once a day, and not at 2 am., seemed to keep on ticking.  Pretty
scary.  Did anybody submit this as a bug report?

	Regards,

	Paul Matz
	PPG Biomedical Systems
	One Campus Drive