[comp.sys.sun] PostScript Previewers for Sunview

dclassen@vulture.bcm.tmc.edu (02/10/89)

I am looking for a PostScript previewer for SunView.  I apologize if this
has been discussed before. I did look though the sun-spots archives
volumes 5,6,and 7. But couldn't find what I wanted.  Commercial or public
domain versions would be fine.  I would however like the source to bang
on.  I know about NeWS, xps, and one for Gnu.

You are welcome to call or e-mail, I can post the results to the net if
desired.

David Classen
dclassen@vulture.bcm.tmc.edu
713-798-3738

[[ This question probably qualifies for the "most often asked questions"
list (if there was one), but I haven't seen an answer yet.  --wnl ]]

beaty@cinelli.UUCP (steve beaty) (02/16/89)

in v7n149 David Classen (dclassen@vulture.bcm.tmc.edu) asks a question:

> I am looking for a PostScript previewer for SunView.

so apparently is everybody else. here is our answer the one of the most
often asked questions on the net:  first get Crispin Goswells'
PostScript(R) interpreter from your favorite comp.sources.unix archive
(uunet.uu.net [192.12.141.129] is one).  it's in 18 parts in volume 12.
then apply the speed ups, bug fixes and enhancements found on
z.andrew.cmu.edu [128.2.30.8] in psdiff/ps.diff.v[123].  then apply our
patch to pixwin.c to make it work correctly:
__________

***************
*** 402,408 ****
        case ROP_NOTDEST:       op = PIX_NOT (PIX_SRC); break;
        case ROP_TRUE:          op = PIX_SET;           break;
        }
+     bm = Pixrect_addr (to);
      rop = rop_map [rop];
      UpdateControl (to, FALSE);
      for (i = top; i < height; i++)
__________

if you want to preview Scribe(R) output feed the output to sed with the
following script:

__________

cat scribe.ps |\
sed -e "/^\% Unilogic\/Scribe version of LaserPrep v4.0/,/^\%\%EndProlog/ d" >\
scribe.ps.good
__________

this stuff works for us.  hope it does for you too.  maybe Mr.  LeFebvre
can collect all the other PostScript info and have available for everybody
to get at when the question comes up again, as it certainly will.

	thanks,
		steve(R) beaty@handel.colostate.edu

		QTC/Horizon Labs/Colorado State University

disclamers, etc:

(R) PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe Systems Incorporated
(R) Scribe is a registered trademark of UNILOGIC(R), LTD
(R) UNILOGIC is a registered trademark of UNILOGIC, LTD
(R) steve is a registered trademark of no one in particular

gerry@SEQ1.KEELE.AC.UK (G.D.Pratt) (02/16/89)

We have been using the "ralpage" previewer which is in the public domain
for this. As far as I know it is freely available, in source form, from
the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory - I obtained it on tape from Mark
Phillips of the Single User Support Scheme.

The address is

Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton
DIDCOT
Oxfordshire
OX11 0QX
Tel (0235) 21900 Ext 6713
Telex 83159 RUTHLB G
Fax (0235)44 5808

I use it on a daily basis to preview text and it is pretty good for
tables.  The output from ptroff can be piped straight into it. It could be
faster but is a *lot* more reliable than psview and writes very clear
error messages if it doesn't like what you send it.

I also use xralpage when running an X server (with the Purdue speedups of
course!)

Gerry Pratt - Workstation Support - Computer Centre
University of KEELE - NEWCASTLE - Staffordshire - ST5 5BG - ENGLAND

Tel: (0782) 621111 ext 3290
EMail: gerry@uk.ac.keele.seq1

roy@philabs.philips.com (Roy Smith) (02/22/89)

dclassen@vulture.bcm.tmc.edu writes (in Volume 7, Issue 149, message 8 of 13):
> I am looking for a PostScript previewer for SunView [...] I know about NeWS

At the NeWS tutorial at the recent USENIX, a neat NeWS hack was mentioned
call ps2bits.  The general idea is that you run the regular NeWS server
but give it a special init file which makes it produce a raster file on
output instead of running a window system.  I havn't had a chance to play
with it yet, but it seems like it would be straight-forward to write an
application of the psview flavor which takes your PostScript document,
feeds it through ps2bits and then pr_load()s the resulting raster file(s)
into a suntools window.

I believe the source for ps2bits is available from the news archive server
at sun; send mail to "archive-server@sun.com" with a subject of "help" to
get started.  I'm doing this from memory, so I may have botched some of
the details, but it's essentially correct.

Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy@uunet.uu.net

mario%research7.computer-science.manchester.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk (Mario Wolczko) (02/23/89)

dclassen@vulture.bcm.tmc.edu:
>  I am looking for a PostScript previewer for SunView....

I (and several others at this site) have been participating in the
Beta-test program for a PostScript previewer called "ScriptWorks" by
Harlequin Limited (full address later).  This is a full-featured
PostScript, is reliable, and above all *fast*.  It runs under both
suntools and X11.  I use it as a LaTeX previewer; handles included
Framemaker and Fig diagrams just fine.

I have also used NeWS and the RAL previewer, and it beats both hands down
for speed and accuracy.

This is a commercial product.  Copies can be obtained (binary only) from:
Harlequin Limited Barrington Hall Barrington Cambridge  CB2 5RG United
Kingdom

Contact Mark Parsons (mark@uk.co.harlqn, perhaps
mark%uk.co.harlqn@cs.ucl.edu from the other side of The Pond; +44-223
872522, or FAX: +44-223 872519) for more details.

The usual disclaimers apply, except that some of the people at Hq are
friends of mine.

Mario Wolczko

Dept. of Computer Science    Internet:   mario@ux.cs.man.ac.uk
The University               USENET: mcvax!ukc!man.cs.ux!mario
Manchester M13 9PL           JANET:      mario@uk.ac.man.cs.ux
U.K.                         Tel: +44-61-275 6146  (FAX: 6280)

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/01/89)

In addition to The Gnu "Ghostscript" (about which I know nothing), Crispin
Goswell wrote a PostScript interpreter that compes with X and Sun drivers.
The uunet.uu.net archives have it in Volume12, along with the
previously-mentioned CMU patches and speed-ups.  If anyone has the "make
it write IN a window, not the framebuffer" patch, I'll stick that there,
too.

	/rich $alz, c.s.u moderator

Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

caag%informatics.rutherford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk (03/23/89)

G.D.Pratt <gerry@SEQ1.KEELE.AC.UK>:
>We have been using the "ralpage" previewer which is in the public domain
>for this. As far as I know it is freely available, in source form, from
>the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory - I obtained it on tape from Mark
>Phillips of the Single User Support Scheme.

It may not be obvious to some that these two are the same animal.  The
biggest mistake I made in distributing it (after the lousy makefile) was
not to give it a real name :-) This is fixed in the next release, which is
called "Ralpage".

I have to announce that Ralpage is *not* in the Public Domain. Whilst it
is certainly freely available, it has to be licenced from the Rutherford
Lab.  if it is going to be used in products.  This was not my decision.

Anyone may use/alter/redistribute it however, but sales must involve the Lab.

I would appreciate it if people would document any fixes they make which
they redistribute - if people don't I will have extreme difficulty
reproducing reported bugs on my version.

>I also use xralpage when running an X server (with the Purdue speedups of
>course!)

This is also known by some X users as XPS.

Name:   Crispin Goswell		 	  |-------|__   Informatics Department
Usenet: {... | mcvax}!ukc!rlinf!caag	  |  Tea  |  | Rutherford Appleton Lab
JANET:  caag@uk.ac.rl.inf		  \  Mug  /_/          Chilton, Didcot
ARPA:   caag%inf.rl.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk \_____/           Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

aida@csl.sri.com (Hitoshi Aida) (04/21/89)

I copied the source of ghostscript interpreter from archive and ported to
the SunView environment.  I also found some bugs in the interpreter.  Does
anyone know how to report them to the Free Software Foundation?

Hitoshi AIDA (aida@csl.sri.com)

jz130317@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Roger Day) (05/08/89)

In article <9405@cslb.CSL.SRI.COM> aida@csl.sri.com (Hitoshi Aida) writes:

>I copied the source of ghostscript interpreter from archive and ported to
>the SunView environment.  I also found some bugs in the interpreter....

This program is just what we are looking for.  Can someone tell me how
and/or where I can get this version of ghostscript for SunView.

Thanks in advance.