[comp.sys.sun] Severe Eyestrain--SUN Workstation problem

mee@pbhyf.pacbell.com (Margrit E. Eade) (03/14/89)

I'm looking for help / resources / references for a friend who has
developed severe eyestrain problems from working on a SUN workstation.

This person had worked on terminals for years, but developed blinding
headaches and eyestrain after only two hours of working on a new SUN
workstation with white background, black lettering.  She is also one of
those people who can detect fluorescent light flicker (when others can't).

Although she has stopped working, the problem has gotten progressively
worse, prevented her from reading, or watching TV.

Any good directions to start out to research a problem like this?  Please
e-mail to {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!mee Thanks in advance
for any replies or help.

I apologize if this was previously posted; I was unable to verify th
original posting.

Margrit Eade
Pacific Bell

harp%terra.pkg.mcc.com@mcc.com (Christoph North-Keys) (04/05/89)

>This person had worked on terminals for years, but developed blinding
>headaches and eyestrain after only two hours of working on a new SUN
>workstation with white background, black lettering.  She is also one of
>those people who can detect fluorescent light flicker (when others can't).

It's almost tradition for the computer-bound to eventually turn off all
lighting in their office in an attempt to avoid glare and flicker, and it
seems that's is high time we tried to analyze and solve the eyestrain
problem.  In humble pursuit of this goal, I am including my personal
impressions.  Let me point out that all points stated were arrived at
through empirical means, and that therefore I may be in error.

Factors believed to contribute to eye fatigue/degradation in computing:

1.  Working with flourescent lights rather than incandescent will
    produce the visual equivalent of the audible "beat" between two
    musical notes not quite in tune. This produces eye-strain.

2.  Working with reflections from other light sources in the monitor
	will tend to cause mental and visual strain due to the ambiguity
	between the displayed and reflected images (glare), and due to
	conflicting visual impressions of focus depth.

3.  Working on monochromatic monitors causes a type of eye fatigue due,
    apparently, to a lack of stimulation variance.

4.  Working for extended periods without periodically focusing on objects
    at different ranges, particularly in cubicles and windowless
    offices, may contribute (as does reading) to gradual degradation
    of the eyes' ability to adapt to varying focal distances.

Recommendations for the computer-bound, based upon preceding:

*	find a comfortable location with a view.
*	place your monitor and keyboard so that your gaze can easily rest
	(and shift focus depth) by shifting to an outside view.
*	use incandescent lighting on materials when lighting is necessary.
*	avoid flourescent lighting like the plague.
*	arrange to have a glare- and reflection-free view of the monitor.
*	sit at a comfortable distance from the monitor, preferably over 2 ft.
*	take advantage of a colour monitor whenever possible.
*	arrange to use coherent, easy colours in your work environment.
	(ex:  MediumGreen, MediumBlue, RedBrown, Gold, Parchment, Black)
*	use easily readable fonts, fontsizes, and linewidths.
*	if trapped with a monochrome monitor, I find it usually more
	comfortable to use white characters on a black background.  This
	can be accomplished by:

	1.	On a Sun console:  echo -n '^[[q'     /* where ^[ is and esc */
	2.	In SunView      :  use the '-i' option to suntools
	3.	In X11          :  use the '-rv' options to tools or the
		                   '*reverseVideo:true' resource.

*	seek more information.

Best of Luck,

-Christopher North-Keys, harp%mcc.com@uunet.uu.net
 SysAdm, Pkg/Int, MCC.

mmorse@note.nsf.gov (Michael Morse) (04/05/89)

> I'm looking for help / resources / references for a friend who has
> developed severe eyestrain problems from working on a SUN workstation.

I think this is a problem that must be addressed, but no one will talk
about it, sort of like the emporer's new clothes.  You can add me to the
list of people who get severe eyestrain from working on SUN's.  The only
thing I've been told that helps is turning off flourescent lights, which
is not practical in my office.  Does anyone know how to change the display
to white on black?

--Mike

jrg@apple.com (John R. Galloway) (04/24/89)

In article <8903211336.aa01045@note.nsf.gov> mmorse@note.nsf.gov (Michael Morse) writes:
>list of people who get severe eyestrain from working on SUN's.  The only
>thing I've been told that helps is turning off flourescent lights, which
>is not practical in my office.  Does anyone know how to change the display
>to white on black?

Not only are flourescent lights annoying, but often office environents are
far too bright.  It is my understanding that uniformly flooding the entire
building with bright light (what happens with the standard celling
flourescents) is NOT recomended by current eye research, even for standard
work let alone terminal work.  I don't have the candle power numbers
handy but can likely find them if your interested (or call your local
optometry dept in a nearby med school).  If you can not turn them off, just
stand on your desk and untwist the blubs in the fixture right over your
tube (I am known for having a "dark spot" over my cube/office, at several
companies).   Then buy a desk lamp or two.  Also personnaly, I MUCH prefer
black on white, and until color tubes have equal resolution with monochrome
disagree with the previous (not the one from Michael) statement that color
tubes are easier on the eyes.  Then again with my (bad) vision I use a
16 point font on my sun (instead of the default 12), so perhaps my experience
is not typical.
apple!jrg	John R. Galloway, Jr.       contract programmer, San Jose, Ca

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

randolph@sun.com (Randolph Fritz) (04/24/89)

Christoph North-Keys contributes a number of good suggestions on office
lighting for use with Suns.  I'd like to add one.

I highly recommend Bell Labs' book on office design for terminal users,
*Video Display Terminals: Preliminary Guidelines for Selection,
Installation, & Use*.  The book covers furniture, displays, and lighting.
It includes an extensive bibliography.

I believe the price is $12 and it's available from:

  AT&T Technologies
  Customer Information Center
  2855 N. Franklin Road
  PO Box 19901
  Indianapolis, IN  46219
  1-800-432-6600

++Randolph Fritz  sun!randolph || randolph@sun.com

The opinions expressed herein are in no way official Sun policy.

caloccia@nisc.nyser.net (William Caloccia) (04/24/89)

[  > I'm looking for help / resources / references for a friend who has
[  > developed severe eyestrain problems from working on a SUN workstation.

[  I think this is a problem that must be addressed, but no one will talk
[  about it, sort of like the emporer's new clothes.  You can add me to the
[  list of people who get severe eyestrain from working on SUN's.  The only
[  thing I've been told that helps is turning off flourescent lights, which
[  is not practical in my office.  Does anyone know how to change the display
[  to white on black?

One question, are you working with monochrome tube which have the
anti-glare coating ('ocli' option).  The coating has been an option on the
monochrome tubes for quite a while. (It comes on colour tubes by default,
and is similar to anti glare coatings on terminals such as the WYSE 50 and
DEC VT220.

>From what (little) I recall of a human factors in design class, a couple
advantages of black on white are:

	studies have shown that people can read black on white faster than
	  they read white on black

	the white background helps to 'cancel' glare and distortion due
	  to other lighting sources reflecting off of the screen.

I've had to do some convincing to get my bosses to pay the extra money for
non-glare screens, but I think that it has paid off.

Of course, they all think I'm a bit strange for putting semi-opaque
diffusers (printer paper) beneath flourescent lights, but....

	--bill (caloccia @ NISC.NYSER.Net)

knutson%sw.MCC.COM@mcc.com (Jim Knutson) (04/24/89)

>*	place your monitor and keyboard so that your gaze can easily rest
>	(and shift focus depth) by shifting to an outside view.

I don't agree with this at all.  Ergonomics suggests that everything we
might look at should be at the same focal distance to reduce eye strain.
You can get a feel for the problem by holding a finger at arms length in
front of you alternately focusing on your finger and something further
away.  After a short time, your eyes will start to hurt.  Holding your
finger closer will accelerate the problem.

What you really want is to have the monitors, work surface (all those
listings), keyboard and mouse all the same distance from your eyes.

Turning off lights may help reduce strain while looking at the screen, but
it is going to increase strain when trying to read those listings in the
dark.  Get a desk lamp to help light up your reading materials.

Jim

[[ Who still uses program listings?  That's what extra windows on your
screen are for!  :-)   --wnl ]]

paul@decwrl.dec.com (Paul E. Black) (04/24/89)

Let me suggest a radical solution.  Reduce the focusing strain on the eyes
by closing the iris (and making the pupil) as small as possible.  How?
Add MORE light to the general environment (without glare, of course).  For
example, I use black characters on a white background, keep the
fluorescent lights on and have an outside window on my right unshuttered.
(I'm fortunate to have a window with a northern <away from the sun> view).
How about the glare?  I keep the monitor tilted *down* to avoid
reflections from the overhead lights and slightly to the left to avoid
reflection from the window.  The fairly high amibent light on the terminal
makes any glare less noticeable.

I agree with the suggestion to give your eyes break by looking at the
mountains out the window, playing ping pong (really!  think about your eye
focus), or even looking down the hallway.

Paul E. Black          | UUCP: ...{pyramid,amdahl,ames}!oliveb!cirrusl!paul
CIRRUS LOGIC, Inc.     | Internet: cirrusl!paul@olivetti.com
1463 Centre Pointe Dr. | Voice: 408-945-8305 extension 210
Milpitas, CA 95035 USA

ugoday@cs.buffalo.edu (Abdi Oday) (04/24/89)

In article <8903211336.aa01045@note.nsf.gov> mmorse@note.nsf.gov (Michael Morse) writes:

>> I'm looking for help / resources / references for a friend who has
>> developed severe eyestrain problems from working on a SUN workstation.
>
>--Mike

I agree, my solution is to reverse the screen.  Having a black background
with white writing is must more pleasant for the eye, than staring at
a white (light) background for an extended time.

I don't know what the best way to do this is, but I usually do it
while envoking sunview/suntools.  Here is how I do it.

    sun4:   % sunview -n -f 255 255 255 -b 0 0 0
    sun3:   % suntools -n -i

The above examples are for a color sun4 and a black/white sun3.
I am not sure about any other combinations.

Hope this helps

 -Abdi

Abdi Oday                       Phone:     (716) 636-3004
University at Buffalo           BITNET:    ugoday@sunybcs.BITNET
				Internet:  ugoday@cs.Buffalo.EDU
UUCP: ...!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugoday

Dunstan_Vavasour@gec-epl.co.uk (05/06/89)

It has recently been suggested that the 100 Hz (120 Hz in US) flicker from
fluorescent light tubes interferes with the human eye's ability to rapidly
move from one point of text to another, and can cause the eye to
"overshoot" the new point of focus. This considerably increases the amount
of eye movement involved in reading text, causing eyestrain.

A hypothesis: Could it be that conventional (White/green/orange/whatever
on black) terminal screens have longer decay times on their screen
phosphors ? If there were to be even a very slight oscillation on the
screen brightness levels this could lead to eyestrain via the
aforementioned mechanism. The comments about colour tubes being easier on
the eye COULD result from colour phosphors having slower decaying screen
phosphors than monochrome ones.

Someone who knows about screen phosphors might be able to totally dismiss
this hypothesis. It is quite likely, though, that the benefit of
extinguishing nearby fluorescent tubes is not only the reduction of glare,
but the removal of a light souce of oscillating amplitude.

Dunstan Vavasour
Systems Design Division
GEC Electrical Projects                       "Solving your problems
Boughton Road                                    is our business"
Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 1BU
Tel: (+44) 788 542144 Ext: 3535
Fax: (+44) 788 60767
Email: dv@gec-epl.co.uk
       dv%uk.co.gec-epl@uk.ac.ukc (JANET)
       ...mcvax!ukc!uk.co.gec-epl!dv

phil@arizona.edu (Phil Kaslo) (05/06/89)

What i've found helps for me is to use the biggest font I can
find, in suntools.  i.e., i put in my .defaults file

/SunView/Font   "/usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts/gallant.r.19"

Works good.

    Phil Kaslo
    Dept. of Computer Science  602-621/2760
    University of Arizona      phil@arizona.edu 	        (internet)
    Tucson, Ariz. 85721	       {cmcl2,noao,uunet}!arizona!phil	(uucp)

tpc@watmath.waterloo.edu (Tom Chmara) (05/06/89)

In article <8904052057.AA02060@marconi.sw.mcc.com> knutson%sw.MCC.COM@mcc.com (Jim Knutson) writes:

>>*	place your monitor and keyboard so that your gaze can easily rest
>>	(and shift focus depth) by shifting to an outside view.
>
>I don't agree with this at all.  Ergonomics suggests that everything we
>might look at should be at the same focal distance to reduce eye strain.
>
>What you really want is to have the monitors, work surface (all those
>listings), keyboard and mouse all the same distance from your eyes.

My opthalmologist spent some time talking at a "lunchtime learning"
seminar about exactly this subject.  The net product of this endeavour
will be to gain for yourself a case of "accountant's eyes".  This is what
is now known as "loss of accomodation".  In other words, you DIMINISH your
ability to "accomodate" changes in focal distances.  His recommendation
was that workers at VDT devices look into the distance every once in a
while (something at a significantly different focal distance from the
tube).  This would reduce the impact of your VDT use as far as
accomodation goes.  What you're setting yourself up for is a tremendous
dose of trouble.

	---tpc---

I am sole owner of the above opinions. Licensing inquiries welcome.

Tom Chmara			UUCP:  ..utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!tpc
BNR Ltd.  			BITNET: TPC@BNR.CA

smiller@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Steven M. Miller) (05/09/89)

In talking with various folks around here I have found that eyewear can
make a big difference.  Most folks who wear contacts report they suffer
eyestrain with them in and tend to wear their glasses to work.

Folks who wear glasses report that UV coatings really help.   I personally
have found that I can easily work 12 hours a day or more without eyestrain
with the coatings compared to less than 8 without.

-Steve

			-Steve Miller, U of MN