[comp.sys.sun] Sun OS 3.5 serving diskless Sun OS 4.0

dlc@vetch.c3.lanl.gov (Dale Carstensen) (04/27/89)

houk@sli.com writes:
> We have a diskful 3/60 running OS 3.5 serving a diskless 3/75 running OS
> 3.5. We need to get a third diskless Sun (currently a 3/110 loaner, soon
> to be replaced with a new but also diskless 3/60) running OS 4.0 but being
> served by the OS 3.5 3/60....

Serving 4.0 from 3.5 certainly doesn't work out of the box, but it looks
like you've discovered the right stuff to make it work.  The SunView
problem sounds like maybe some /dev files are missing -- try using trace
from an rlogin to the 4.0 machine to see what system calls the processes
forked by sunview are making.  A few attempts to get the right pid with
"trace -p" will eventually get the right pid.  Start by doing "trace
sunview" on the 4.0, and if it gets to the first fork, start using the
rlogin method.

rdh@sli.com (Robert D. Houk) (05/09/89)

> into the OS 3.x kernel and is not provided in OS 4.x). If there is any way
> for a OS 4.x machine to serve a diskless OS 3.5 machine, I would be
> interested in that as well . . .
> 					-RDH

Well, the major fix seems to be rebuilding sunview -Bstatic. Or you can
just run 3.5 suntools instead... Or maybe someday Sun will actually fix
it...Nah, too radical.

					-RDH