[comp.sys.sun] OS 4 Sendmail.cf doesn't match documentation

shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Jay) (04/26/89)

While waiting for Sun Support (800-USA-4SUN) to call me back, I thought
I'd try a more reliable source for problem resolution.

The OS 4 "System & Network Administration" manual, part # 800-1733-10,
revision A of 9 May 1988, discusses "setting up the Mail Routing System"
beginning on page 375.   On the bottom of page 377, it describes modifying
the sendmail.cf file.  It says to look for lines that look like

	# local domain names
		DDsun
		CDsun

and change them to our domain name.  My problem is, there are no lines
that look anything like that in /usr/lib/sendmail.main.cf.  The SCCS id
line in that file is

#       @(#)main.mc 1.15 88/02/08 SMI

Am I missing something?  Do I somehow have the wrong version of either the
file or the documentation?

For what it's worth, we are currently running with the sendmail.cf that we
used in OS 3.3, and it seems to work fine.

A related question:  I've seen several messages in sun-spots about patches
to "sendmail 5.61", or some such.  Does this have anything to do with the
version of sendmail that I get with Sun OS 4?  If I'm not supposed to be
running the sendmail that came with OS 4, where do I get whatever I should
be running?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Jay                       domain: shj@ultra.com
Ultra Network Technologies	Internet: ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov
101 Daggett Drive               uucp: ...ames!ultra!shj
San Jose, CA 95134
408-922-0100

todds@uunet.uu.net (Todd Sandor) (05/10/89)

ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Steve Jay) writes:
>The OS 4 "System & Network Administration" manual, part # 800-1733-10,
>revision A of 9 May 1988, discusses "setting up the Mail Routing System"
>beginning on page 375.   On the bottom of page 377, it describes modifying
>the sendmail.cf file.  It says to look for lines that look like

Read chaper 18 "Sendmail Installation and Operation" (great fun!!)
+ .....
>and change them to our domain name.  My problem is, there are no lines
>#       @(#)main.mc 1.15 88/02/08 SMI

so is mine.

>A related question:  I've seen several messages in sun-spots about patches
>to "sendmail 5.61", or some such.  Does this have anything to do with the
>version of sendmail that I get with Sun OS 4?  If I'm not supposed to be
>running the sendmail that came with OS 4, where do I get whatever I should

There seems to be problems with sendmail with the SunOS 4.0, in our case
found that the $m macro (Domain name) doesn't seem to work with outgoing
mail (messes up the Message-Id for example), so we have had to hard code
the name in to all $m locations, for example our main mailer has:

# You have two choices here.  If you want the gateway machine to identify
# itself as the DOMAIN, use this line:
Djcognos
instead of:
# If you want the gateway machine to appear to be INSIDE the domain, use:
Dj.$m
like it says in the documentations.  Our subsidiary sendmail.cf looks like:
# my official hostname
Dj$w.cognos

Note that you have to replace all $m with your domain name in the
sendmail.cf files.  We also have a call into Sun Support on this one, but
don't have a reply yet.  So far (less than a week) this fix seems to have
worked (at least have not gotten nasty messages from sites we connect to).

Todd Sandor             Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 2704     P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated     FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.
uucp: todds@cognos || uunet!mitel!scs!cognos!todds         Ottawa, Ontario
Steady as she goes!                                        CANADA  K1G 3Z4

blc@crdgw1.ge.com (Brett Chapman x5156 ) (05/11/89)

This is a problem throughout the 4.0 manual set!  I have found several
places that still reference 3.x in the 4.0 manuals!  It makes things VERY
difficult for us novices!

Anyway, if you read the comments in the sendmail.cf file, they can direct
you to the correct line to modify.

	Brett Chapman
	G.E. Medical Systems
	(414) 548-5156