[comp.sys.sun] ftp problem

dang@shell.UUCP (Susan Dang) (04/27/89)

I am recently experiencing the "ftp: bind: Can't assign requested address"
error on some of my Sun3 and Sun4  diskless workstations.  These
workstations belong to the same server group and are running OS 3.5.
Following is an example of my ftp porblem:

ca060d% ftp mango
Connected to mango.
220 mango FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
Name (mango:dang): dang
Password (mango:dang):
331 Password required for dang.
230 User dang logged in.
ftp> ls
ftp: bind: Can't assign requested address
ftp>

I tried a number of destinations with no luck.

I had experienced this problem before but it just disappeared after a
couple of days.  However, this time it decides to stay :-(

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Susan Dang
Shell Oil Company, Information Center (713) 795-3208
...!{sun,psuvax,bcm,rice}!shell!dang

craig@calvin.arpa (Craig S. Cochran) (05/11/89)

dang@shell.UUCP (Susan Dang) writes:

> I am recently experiencing the "ftp: bind: Can't assign requested address"
> error on some of my Sun3 and Sun4  diskless workstations.

Make sure that the local machine's internet address is correct in the
local /etc/hosts file, even (especially) if you are running YP.

Apparently the ftp daemon looks at the local /etc/hosts file to find out
its own internet address, EVEN IF YOU ARE RUNNING YP.  This is the only
program I know of in SunOS that does this.  Since this is done at boot
time, if you change the address in the local /etc/hosts file to match what
is being served via YP, you still need to reboot to make ftp work.

While there may be other causes of the phenomenon you are seeing, I found
that the local /etc/hosts file was very often the cause on the YP-running
network I managed (where the addresses changed almost weekly).

Good luck.

Craig S. Cochran          {sun,decwrl}!valid!craig
Valid Logic Systems       408/432-9400 x-2261

rackow@skeeve.mcs.anl.gov (05/11/89)

The problem comes from the fact you do not have a proper /etc/hosts table
on the client.  Copy the servers host table to the client so the clients
name is in the table, then reboot the client.  The problem then goes away.

   Gene

sid@sun.com (Sid Shapiro) (05/11/89)

> Following is an example of my ftp porblem:

> ca060d% ftp mango
> Connected to mango.
> 220 mango FTP server (SunOS 4.0) ready.
> Name (mango:dang): dang
> Password (mango:dang):
> 331 Password required for dang.
> 230 User dang logged in.
> ftp> ls
> ftp: bind: Can't assign requested address
> ftp>

I have seen that exact symptom.  In our case this is what happened: We
boot up a diskless workstation.  /etc/hosts is a link to a file system
that gets mounted after the ifconfig in /etc/rc.local.  All other programs
seem to work except ftp.

The bottom line was that the /etc/hosts file had to be in place during
execution of /etc/rc.boot then all worked well.

This is all a little vague, but I hope you get the idea.
/ Sid /