[comp.sys.sun] SCSI interface consistency question

brook@cs.utexas.edu (Brook Milligan) (05/06/89)

How consistent are SCSI interface products (mainly disk and tape drives)
from different manufacturers? Are the differences more than just the
connectors? As far as I can tell each machine has a different connector,
but can one make adaptor cables and mix devices? Is the electrical
interface consistent enough for drivers to work successfully with many
devices?  I have tried to summarize some of the connector types below.
Can anyone fill in the blanks?

    IBM PC's (Western Digital boards)   Centronics 50 pin socket
    Mac's                               Centronics 50 pin socket
    Sun                                 DB50 socket
    Digital (DS3100)                    ?
    Apollo                              ?
    Next                                ?
    HP                                  ?
    . . .

Thanks for your help.  Please respond via email.
Brook G. Milligan                   Internet:   brook@emx.utexas.edu
Department of Botany                Bitnet:     bohk313@utaivc
University of Texas at Austin       UUCP:       ...!ut-emx!brook
Austin, Texas  78713   U.S.A.       (512) 471-3530

bukys@cs.rochester.edu (Liudvikas Bukys) (05/11/89)

In article <12488@ut-emx.UUCP> ut-emx!brook@cs.utexas.edu (Brook Milligan) writes:
>How consistent are SCSI interface products (mainly disk and tape drives)
>from different manufacturers?...

Building up the table a little further:

				host box	peripheral box
	IBM PC			Centronics 50?	Centronics 50?
	Apple Macintosh		DB25		Centronics 50 mostly
	Apple LaserwriterNTX	Centronics 50	Centronics 50
	SUN-3, old SUN-4	DB50		DB50
	new SUN-4, (SUN-3/80?)	Miniature 50	???
	Digital DECstation3100	Miniature 50	Centronics 50

By the "Miniature 50" I mean the type of connector on the Mercury cable set
for the Xylogics 753 controller: I think it's a ZIF connector, and it's got
spring-loaded clamps on the sides of the connector.