[comp.sys.sun] pcnfsd and inetd

hans@nluug.nl (de Paashaas) (04/22/89)

In article <937@sunspot.cme.nbs.gov> you write:
>I am having trouble getting inetd under 4.0.1 to start up the pcnfsd
>daemon.  The entry in inetd.conf is:
>
>  pcnfsd/1        dgram   rpc/udp wait root /usr/etc/rpc.pcnfsd   rpc.pcnfsd
>
>The console output we get is:
>
> "inetd[152]: pcnfsd/rpc/udp: unknown service"

You'll need an extra line in /etc/rpc:

grep pcnfs /etc/services /etc/inetd.conf /etc/rpc

/etc/inetd.conf:pcnfsd/1 dgram rpc/udp wait root /usr/etc/rpc.pcnfsd rpc.pcnfsd
/etc/rpc:pcnfsd		150001

Hope this helps. I don't think it's in the manual, it follows from the
pcnfsd source.  (B.t.w. we run 4.0.1)

Cheers,

	Hans
--
Hans Buurman                   | hans@duttnph.UUCP
Pattern Recognition Group      |

henk@uunet.uu.net (Henk Langeveld) (04/25/89)

anderson@cme.nbs.gov (William E. Anderson) writes:

>I am having trouble getting inetd under 4.0.1 to start up the pcnfsd
>daemon.  The entry in inetd.conf is:
>  pcnfsd/1        dgram   rpc/udp wait root /usr/etc/rpc.pcnfsd   rpc.pcnfsd
>The console output we get is:
> "inetd[152]: pcnfsd/rpc/udp: unknown service"

We're having the same problems with our PC-NFS setup.  We reported the
problem early february to our dealer (Sun-NL).  They say they cannot
reproduce the problem on their system, but neither can they fix ours.

So if anyone finds the answer, I would like to be informed as well.

>NAME:   William E. Anderson            TELE: (301) 975-2423

-Henk
--
Henk Langeveld ( Dept. EUR/EF/AIV; Erasmus University Rotterdam )     |
henk@{euraiv1,eurtrx}.uucp || +31 10 4081346			      |

blc@crdgw1.ge.com (Brett Chapman x5156 ) (05/11/89)

It sounds like the rpc(5) file is missing the "pcnfsd 150001" entry.

Also, make sure that you follow the installation instructions in the READ
ME FIRST section as opposed to the ones in the manual.  Pay close
attention to what directories are used for the different methods of
starting pcnfsd.

Let me know if this doesn't solve the problem!

					Brett Chapman
					G.E. Medical Systems
					(414) 548-5156
					uunet!{steinmetz,crdgw1}!gemed!chapmanB