[comp.sys.sun] f77 and dynamic memory? + responses to previous questions

jon@astro.ucla.edu (Jonathan Eisenhamer) (05/06/89)

To All Spots,

A basic question: Is it possible to use dynamic memory with fortran
programs compiled with SunOS 3.5 f77(1)?  There doesn't appear to be
fortran versions of alloc/free and no mechanism in fortran to allow the
use of pointers.

Now for some catching up on old stuff:  A while ago, I asked about
unqualified accounting errors without any explanation using Transcript
2.0.  There were two errors, accounting error 2 and accounting error 3.
No one seems to know about the error 2, but error 3 indicates that the
start and stop pages returned from the Laserwriter were inconsistent (i.e.
start page # greate then end page #, etc.).  No suggestions about what
would be causing this were given though.

Also, a while ago, I asked about an apparent bug in the system(3f) fortran
call.  The problem is that, under 3.5 f77(1), a call to system(3f) would
result in all opened files being set to the end-of-file.  One person (lost
the address) responded that this is a known bug but did not know whether
there was a fix for it.

			Thank you for your time,
			Jonathan Eisenhamer
			jon@astro.ucla.edu
			jon@uclastro.bitnet
			bonnie::jon (span 5.708)

zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) (05/18/89)

In article <8904202125.AA01698@mira.astro.ucla.edu> jon@astro.ucla.edu (Jonathan Eisenhamer) writes:
>The problem is that, under 3.5 f77(1), a call to system(3f) would
>result in all opened files being set to the end-of-file....

There is a patch for system() for 3.5 f77.  We were losing fd's after
system calls.  This was before they increased the number of possible
active fd's...  We'd still have lost them though with the bug...

-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank@apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank