[comp.sys.sun] Suns in the Personal Computer market

smith@origin.life.uiuc.edu (Steven Smith) (05/06/89)

With the advent of the new SUN 3/80, Sun is in a position that the company
has never been in before.  Sun can now offer a system that is functionally
as good as (better) than a similarly equipped Macintosh for a lower price.
This places Sun in a much larger market share than they have held in the
past.  Sun can now deliver software "compatible" products that span all
the way from desktop micro to graphic workstations to large scale
mainframes, and in the process, blur the lines dividing them a bit more.
But will Sun be ready for the micro market?

Sun has always been a pioneer in the bang per buck club, under cutting the
likes of DEC and IBM in any price/performance comparison.  They
accomplished this by limiting their profit margin in favor of market
share.  Well, once again it is time for Sun to take this approach, but
this time it must be in software.

In order for Sun to make any dent in the personal computer market, their
notions about software pricing must change.  Since their migration to
SunOS 4.0, Sun has made it known they see software as a profitable
commoditiy.  The "unbundling" of 4.0 says this loud and clear.  Fortran
and Pascal, once considered part of the standard Unix release are now
considered unneeded by the average user, and thus should be sold
seperately.  At the same time, new tools such as SunWrite/Draw/Paint are
priced at an outrageous $1000, even though such tools are considered
mandatory for any functional personal computer in today's market.  Sun
will sell such tools as NeWS for a reasonable cost.  But the primary
reason for this appears to lie in Sun's wishes to make NeWS a standard.

If Sun does plan to move into the low-cost market, then they must make it
affordable to program and use their machines.  There is a lot to be said
for the NeXT machine for this reason alone.  The $6500 that an educator
pays gets him much more than just a black box.  Why Jobs even bundled
Mathematica, not to mention all of the basic tools.

So Sun, if you are listening, you have a chance to knock the top right off
of the low end market.  But you must make it worth while for people to
make the big jump to Unix.  You must convince the cottage software
industry that you will help not hinder them in development.  And you MUST
make it cheaper for people to get basic work done.

Steve Smith
U of Illinois, Microbiology
smith@origin.life.uiuc.edu

These opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of the University of
Illinois, faculty, or board of trustees.

/*Please mail flames directly, no need to jam the Digest*/

[[ Whoosh!  --wnl ]]

dav@hplabs.hp.com (David L. Markowitz) (05/12/89)

In article <8904222133.AA04813@origin.life.uiuc.edu>, smith@origin.life.uiuc.edu (Steven Smith) writes:
> With the advent of the new SUN 3/80, Sun is in a position that the company
> has never been in before.  Sun can now offer a system that is functionally
> as good as (better) than a similarly equipped Macintosh for a lower price.
> This places Sun in a much larger market share than they have held in the
> past.  Sun can now deliver software "compatible" products that span all
> the way from desktop micro to graphic workstations to large scale
> mainframes, and in the process, blur the lines dividing them a bit more.
> But will Sun be ready for the micro market?

I think Sun is very worried about this too.  They don't yet know HOW to
approach this market.  I have been told that Sun would like to market
these machines through stores, but they are waiting for a few things.  One
comment that I heard was that Sun is "waiting for an appropriate product"!
It sure seems to me like they already have a couple and are just dragging
their mice - ummm - feet.  Considering that IBM markets the RT through
retail outlets...

> In order for Sun to make any dent in the personal computer market, their
> notions about software pricing must change.

Not just theirs - the third party software companies are just as, if not
more so, guilty of this.

> At the same time, new tools such as SunWrite/Draw/Paint are
> priced at an outrageous $1000, even though such tools are considered
> mandatory for any functional personal computer in today's market.

I have been marketing software for Suns for the past three years.  At one
point I was informed (by a potential customer) that I had the lowest
priced product in the Catalyst catalog.  This was because my product is a
game, and I had priced it based on the cost of games for PC's.  It is no
longer listed because Sun, in their wisdom, decided to drop the games
section of Catalyst.  Now that Suns are making their way into the home and
dormitory (this started with the 386i), I would like to see a simple way
to market this "shrink-wrap" software that Sun likes to talk about.

> If Sun does plan to move into the low-cost market, then they must make it
> affordable to program and use their machines.  There is a lot to be said
> for the NeXT machine for this reason alone.  The $6500 that an educator
> pays gets him much more than just a black box.  Why Jobs even bundled
> Mathematica, not to mention all of the basic tools.

They also need an easier retail/educational sales outlet for hardware
and software.  You can't expect a sophomore to go to Sun's local office,
and if they (all) did, the office wouldn't be able to handle the load.
How about "authorized service centers"?  What do students do when the
monitor dies?

> So Sun, if you are listening, you have a chance to knock the top right off
> of the low end market.  But you must make it worth while for people to
> make the big jump to Unix.  You must convince the cottage software
> industry that you will help not hinder them in development.  And you MUST
> make it cheaper for people to get basic work done.

Even if Sun isn't listening.  Are any other entrepreneurs out there
interested in creating a Sun software marketing house?  I've got some
products waiting for a market - who else does?

	David L. Markowitz		Rockwell International
	...!sun!sunkist!arcturus!dav	dav@arcturus.UUCP
	The above opinions are merely that, and only mine.

alfred@mcc.com (Alfred Hartmann) (05/26/89)

David L. Markowitz' comments on this topic in SUN-SPOTS DIGEST, Monday, 15
May 1989, Volume 7 : Issue 293, are very accurate.  It is the plentious
availability of low-cost software running on low-priced commodity hardware
that makes the PC market the Number 1 computer industry segment today,
measured in numbers of users, numbers of dollars, numbers of systems,
aggregate MIPS, tonnage of available software, number of trade
publications, impact on business, education and humanity, or whatever
metric you prefer.  Workstation cost would have to drop to near zero to
make the total cost to the user of hardware + software equal between PC's
and workstations.  Whatever pundits are comparing only hardware costs are
leaving half the terms out of the marketing equation (and probably the
terms with the higher coefficients).

Workstation software is priced to whatever the corporation can bear, and
is totally ought of sight for personal budgets.  Airlines know all about
this type of pricing racket, and price their tickets high for the business
traveler, whom they identify as someone who books late and doesn't stay
over a weekend.  But the "personal traveler" who plans his or her vacation
in advance and stays awhile gets lo-ball MaxiSaver fares.  Otherwise they
would drive a car (personal transportation, comparable to personal
computer).  Either the workstation and third party workstation software
vendors have to figure out a similar pricing strategy, to weed out
corporate Daddy Warbucks from at home users, or they can kiss their
futures goodby.  They can't continue to have annual production runs equal
to one day's manufacturing output of personal computers and still expect
to be around in the next decade.

You would think the workstation software vendors make enough profit
advantage by selling node locked software, so that the software price
could be equal with PC software, which is typically passed around among a
few friends.  That ought to be worth a profit advantage of maybe 4X - 6X
versus the unauthorized copying that goes on with PC software.  But their
desire for margin advantage doesn't end there, and the workstation
software package price is jacked up another 4X - 10X in absolute dollars
(from tens or hundred of dollars for the PC version to thousands of
dollars for the workstation version of similar software).  So that makes
the compounded total price elevation for workstation software more like
16X - 60X over the effective PC software price.  And that doen't even
include the other PC software advantages, like wider variety of PC
software, easier acquisition (storeshelf shrinkwrap vs.  signed multipage
license agreement plus money order mailed off somewhere), easier
installation (no PC superuser/Sun worshiper), fourth party how-to-use
manuals in any bookstore,  stop by the computer store demos, demos on
television (PBS' weekly Computer Chronicles show), etc. etc.  etc.

PC's bring computer power to the people through low total cost of
ownership.  Workstations haven't made much of a dent in total cost of
ownership just by offering low priced hardware, any more than discount
needles would lower the cost of a drug habit.

--Alfred Hartmann
  MCC - Austin, Texas
  alfred@mcc.com