[comp.sys.sun] Root login using rlogin to a 386i

reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G B Reilly) (04/30/89)

A colleague of mine insists upon being able to rlogin as root into his Sun
386i.  Is there some clean way to support this.  Comments on how dumb this
is are not welcome as the machine is on a closed network.

[[ Not quite sure what you are asking here.  From a Sun 3 running 4.0.x to
another Unix machine, it's "rlogin -l root machine".  From any other
BSD-derived machine, it's "rlogin machine -l root".  But you still have to
type the password once the connection is established.  Is there a problem
with this approach when going to a 386i?  Or does he want to do this
without having to type a password?  If the latter, then changes can be
made to /.rhosts on the 386i to accomodate him.  --wnl ]]

pat@decwrl.dec.com (Pat Lashley) (05/20/89)

In article <8904292329.AA20221@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu> reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G B Reilly) writes:

| A colleague of mine insists upon being able to rlogin as root into his Sun
| 386i.  Is there some clean way to support this.  Comments on how dumb this
| is are not welcome as the machine is on a closed network.

It is also necessary to add `secure' to the end of each line in /etc/ttytab.
(Actually the first dozen or so should be more than enough...)

ttyp0	none				network		off	secure
ttyp1	none				network		off	secure
ttyp2	none				network		off	secure

PMLashley	...{sun | megatest | sts | zygot}!cohesive!kla!pat
<<< I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere... >>>

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) (05/26/89)

You have to mark all network (i.e. pseudo-) terminals as "secure" in
/etc/ttytab.  This is not something specific to 386i machines, its just
that Sun ships 386i's with secure on only for the console, while for other
4.0 machines, it ships secure on for all terminals.  See ttytab(5) for
details (if you have the manual pages cluster loaded)

@alex

inet: dupuy@cs.columbia.edu
uucp: ...!rutgers!cs.columbia.edu!dupuy

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (05/26/89)

reilly@scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (G B Reilly) writes:
>A colleague of mine insists upon being able to rlogin as root into his Sun
>386i.  Is there some clean way to support this.  Comments on how dumb this
>is are not welcome as the machine is on a closed network.

I think the problem is in /etc/ttytab.  Root login is only allowed on
those tty's that are labelled as 'secure'.  On our system that does not
include the network ports.  We only allow root login from the console,
serial lines that are entirely within our Division, or vi 'su' from
another account.

-David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110