[comp.sys.sun] need auto-logout program and info about tcsh

gplan@husc6.harvard.edu (George A. Planansky) (05/24/89)

We would like to have an auto-logout feature, whereby idle connections
are logged off, for our OS4 and our 4.2 systems.  How is this done?

We would also like some decent command line editing ... right now it's
the top "trivial but essential" item on our users' wish list (but wait
until they see the newly implemented connect time charges ...).

Is the "tcsh" a solution, will it work with OS 4 and with 4.2, and, if
so, how do I "get" it?

George Planansky, Atmosphere Environment Research, Cambridge Mass.
617 641-3128
email (via csnet):  gplan@ra.umb.edu

mccoy@accuvax.nwu.edu (Jim McCoy ) (06/07/89)

In article <3436@kalliope.rice.edu> umb!umb!gplan@husc6.harvard.edu (George A. Planansky) writes:

>We would like to have an auto-logout feature, whereby idle connections
>are logged off, for our OS4 and our 4.2 systems.  How is this done?

An auto-logout feature is included in both the bash and tcsh shells.  One
can "setenv auto-logout 60" in the tcsh and you will be logged out after
60 minutes of idle time.

>We would also like some decent command line editing ... right now it's
>the top "trivial but essential" item on our users' wish list (but wait
>until they see the newly implemented connect time charges ...).

I don't know what you consider "decent" commend line editing, but both
bash and tcsh are loaded with functionality in editing command lines and
history lists.

>Is the "tcsh" a solution, will it work with OS 4 and with 4.2, and, if
>so, how do I "get" it?

Both tcsh and bash are solutions (bash if users want a normal bourne shell
function, and tcsh for the sane people who use csh :-).  I swear by tcsh
and would highly reccommend it.  It is the FIRST thing i port to any new
machine that i can get my hands on.  One try and you will NEVER go back to
the csh.

tcsh is availible on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu the last time i checked
(try pub/tcsh) with a shar file for various machines (i.e. sun3-os4, etc).

>George Planansky, Atmosphere Environment Research, Cambridge Mass.
>617 641-3128
>email (via csnet):  gplan@ra.umb.edu

				jim

mccoy@acns.nwu.edu                  |  "...far too many notes for my taste"
#include <disclaimer.h>             |        -Phantom of the Opera