[comp.sys.sun] AT&T 5620

vrieze@no1sun.cray.com (Lee Vrieze) (05/18/89)

We have several AT&T 5620 (Teletype model 56D) terminals that were
originally on an AT&T 3B2.  Has anyone ported AT&T's DMD (Dot Mapped
Display) software to a Sun, or found any other way of using the windowing
capabilities of these terminals on a Sun?  Granted, workstations are a
better way of doing the windowing, but the price was right on these
terminals.

Any info will be appreciated.

Lee Vrieze (vrieze@no1sun.cray.com)

gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) (05/24/89)

In article <8905172354.AA14585@no1sun.cray.com> Lee Vrieze wrote:

>We have several AT&T 5620 (Teletype model 56D) terminals that were
>originally on an AT&T 3B2.  Has anyone ported AT&T's DMD (Dot Mapped
>Display) software to a Sun, or found any other way of using the windowing
>capabilities of these terminals on a Sun?

PLEASE POST if you know of such a thing!!  We have numerous "Blit boxes"
here at Columbia, in the EE and (I believe) CS departments.  They came as
part of an AT&T grant.  Unfortunately, the 3B2's and 3B20's died a slow
death due to hardware failure and inadequate versions of System V that we
were able to obtain.  A shame.

I think a large number of universities, also AT&T recipients, would be
grateful to find DMD code ported or placed on Suns.

gld

PS: I have a copy of a termcap entry for this terminal if anyone is
interested.  It is public domain (of course).

 Gary L. Dare				> gld@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU
					> gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.EDU
	"SLAINTE MHAITH!"		> gld@cunixc.BITNET

iorga@ihlpa.UUCP (Daniel Iorga) (06/10/89)

we have used layers (both on DMDs and 630s) on the SUNs for some time now.
it works fine on 630s but haven't tried it on DMDs.  i am not sure if it
is available outside AT&T. check with your AT&T software supplier. hope
this helps,

daniel iorga