[comp.sys.sun] 150Mbyte 1/4" tape drives?

David.Maynard@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) (06/08/89)

Does anyone know what drive and controller are used in the new 150 Mbyte
1/4" tape drive option?  Does the new option still use the Emulex MT-02
controller?  I asked our local Sun office, but they haven't had a chance
to investigate the new drives yet.

Also, are tapes written in QIC-24 format on the new drives transferrable
to the 60Mbyte drives?  (I ask because, when Sun switched from 4-track to
9-track drives there was a slight compatibility problem. Since the 9-track
drives wrote a narrower track that some 4-track drives could not reliably
read.)

Thanks,
David

 David P. Maynard (dpm@cs.cmu.edu)
 Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
 Carnegie Mellon University
 Pittsburgh, PA  15213

 Any opinions expressed are mine only.  I haven't asked the ECE department
 or CMU what they think.

dan@wind.bellcore.com (Daniel Strick) (06/09/89)

I have heard a "rumor" to the effect that these are Archive Viper 2150S
cartridge drives.  I assume there is more than one source of similar
drives (QIC-150 format) and I doubt that SMI would base a product on a
drive with only one source.

I have used the Viper 2150S with SMI, Emulex, and Interphase SCSI.  A
sun-3/60 seemed to accept the drive when the system was up and running
unix, but it refused to boot off the drive (the error messages suggested
confusion over low level SCSI protocols).  Rumor has it that SMI buys the
drive with special firmware.  A sun-4/60 seemed to like the drive just
fine, though I could not completely test booting because I didn't have a
boot tape.  The Emulex host adapter (model VH01) seemed to think that the
Viper failed to respond correctly to the synchronous transfer parameter
negotiation messages (though this did not interfere with the use of the
drive).  The Interphase adapter (model 4210) accepted the drive without
comment.  (P.S. The 3/60 ran 4.0.1 and the 4/60 ran 4.0.3c.  The Emulex
and Interphase adapters were used in a sun-4/260 running release 3.x with
a home grown driver for the scsi cards.)

Performance was good (~100 kb/sec max) with the sun-4/60, Emulex, or
Interphase host adapters.  The drive may require a few extra seconds at
the beginning of the tape to determine the tape type or the format in
which it is written or to align the heads with the tape.

The drive is capable of reading and writing in either QIC-120 or QIC-150
format.  It can read QIC-24 format and some versions of the drive are said
to read QIC-11 format.  The release 4.0.1 SMI scsi driver only seems
willing to write in QIC-150 format.  The 4.0.3 driver seems willing to
write in either QIC-150 or QIC-120.

I rather liked the drive even though 1/4" tape (the QIC formats) is not
very satisfying (old, slow, low capacity).

Dan Strick
dan@bellcore.com
bellcore!dan

weber@decvax.UUCP (Jeff Weber) (06/20/89)

In article <3747@kalliope.rice.edu> David.Maynard@k.gp.cs.cmu.edu (David Maynard) writes:

>Does anyone know what drive and controller are used in the new 150 Mbyte
>1/4" tape drive option?  Does the new option still use the Emulex MT-02
....stuff deleted

New 150MB tape drive is an Archive Viper.  It is "embedded SCSI" which
means that the SCSI connects directly to the drive and it doesn't use a
separate controller (ala MT-02).  It is about 30% faster in SCSI bus
transfer rates and will actually stream with the faster 327MB disks (but
doesn't w/SMD for some reason).

The Viper will READ QIC-11,24,120&150.  It will WRITE QIC-120 and 150
depending on the media that you put in it.  The old media for the 60MB
drive will not work.  You can read in all of your old tapes but cannot
write a tape that your old 60M'er can read.

It seems that software 4.0.1 and later supports this thing.

						Jeff Weber