[comp.sys.sun] Why are new Suns thick Ethernet only

seeger@iec.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (05/11/89)

In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:

|We were introduced to the new Sun products last week, and I was surprised
|to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors....
|Can anyone clue me in to the reason why Sun chose to go this way?
|I'm clueless.

I was told that it was because Sun wanted these machines to eventually be
certified as FCC Class B compliant for RF emissions.  Sort of indicates
that they want to get into the PC market, I guess.  Nevertheless, this is
a major pain in the butt for most of their existing sites.  It will cost
about $200 extra per station to attach to the net.  If they haven't fixed
their damnable connectors, it will be even worse.  Wish I could trade the
audio port for a built-in thin-net tranceiver.  [Before anyone asks, the
WD Ethernet card, for example, only has a Class A rating; I presume that
is typical of PC cards with both connector types.]  They did a good job of
moving local disks inside the box, but then screwed up by requiring an
external, clutter-producing tranceiver.  A much cleaner design would have
allowed for an optional internal tranceiver.

BTW, I had a real brainstorm when I learned of this situation a few weeks
ago.  To wit, attach the transceiver directly to the AUI connector on the
back of the cpu (i.e. with no intervening cable).  This is sort of
feasible if there is enough clearance around the connector, which I don't
think is the case on the new Sun desktops, anyway.  The connector isn't
strong enough to hold the box reliably, though.  [mv brainstorm /dev/null]

BTWbis, does anyone know of a source of short AUI cables, say about 1m?
All I have found are multiples of 5m.  Is there some technical reason for
that?

Regards,
Chuck
--
  Charles Seeger            216 Larsen Hall             +1 904 392 8935
  Electrical Engineering    University of Florida       Just say NO to

bob@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (05/11/89)

rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf):

   Can anyone clue me in to the reason why Sun chose to go this way?

When we were shown the diagrams for the new desktop machines several
months ago (under non-disclosure, and we kept our mouths shut), we
observed that they only had a transceiver cable connection and no thin
Ethernet BNC connector.  It may be to save board space that would have
been used in the thin net transceiver.  It seems to me that there's some
spare acreage over on the back-right near the SCSI adaptor that could be
put to advantageous use, but don't trust me on that - our hardware people
tremble in fear when they see me with a screwdriver in my hand :-)

Anyway, technical issues aside, we asked the representative (a bigwig from
MtView, not even the local sales office) why that decision had gone in
that direction.  He looked surprised, and said that they had asked
"several universities" for their preferences and had been told that
everyone preferred thick to thin.  On the basis of this market research,
they proceeded with the thick cable design.  By the time we saw the
drawings it was clearly far too late to change anything.

Will anyone here in Sun-Spots land confess to being one of those
universities that were surveyed?  Or did Sun just go across the bay to
Berkeley and see the transceiver cable bundles that look like Sequoia
trunks, and decide that that must be the One True Way?

Before we can use the new SparcStations in our environment, we'll have to
either buy or build thick-to-thin adaptors that will be another several
hundred pieces of expensive, fragile hardware and several hundred more
connectors for users in the student labs to kick around.  Else, we'll have
to buy the S-bus Ethernet card and use the thin net connector on that.
Does anyone know whether a diskless SparcStation will boot over its second
Ethernet?

smb@arpa.att.com (05/11/89)

I asked why no thinwire.  I was told that there's just no room on the
board for the integral transceiver; they really packed things tight on the
SPARCstation 1.  (And why is Sun imitating DEC's names now?) As for why
not use just thinwire -- that's much less compatible.  If you have an
existing thickwire setup, you can't easily put in a single thinwire
station; going the other way, though, requires just a transceiver and drop
cable.  And who knows -- maybe Sun has finally learned how to build the
connectors...

grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) (05/11/89)

The Sun folks at the San Francisco product introduction said the decision
to use only a thick Ethernet connector was driven by FCC ``interference''
requirements.  The Sun folks claimed that a Class B (suitable for home
use) classification was impossible with a thin-net connector.

Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi
Internet: grandi@noao.edu             SPAN/HEPNET: 5355::GRANDI or NOAO::GRANDI

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (05/12/89)

I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents about the thick-vs-thin argument.  As
I've stated so many times, the thick ethernet connectors just plain suck.
The cable is too stiff and heavy and the connector is too weak.  It works
fine in a rack-mount system where there are lots of handy places to lash
the cable down with cable ties, but on a desktop/deskside system, it's
just asking for trouble (and, of course, Sun took a bad design and made it
even worse, with the non-standard mechanical clearances).  The single most
common cause of network failures around here is loose tranciever cables.
Not to mention that stringing tranciever cable is a real bitch; not only
is it stiff and heavy, but you have to chop a hole in the wall big enough
to clear the DB-15 on the end, or terminate your own cables (no thanks).
Not to mention that you need your own $300-or-so tranciever for each
workstation.

We're slowly moving towards thin ethernet whenever we have a number of
workstations near enough to each other to make it practical.  We have a
thick backbone running around the building (because of the greater cable
length allowed) and wherever we have a clump of 3 or more machines with
thinnet connectors, we daisychain them together and plug them into a DEC
DESPR or similar device (single port thick-to-thin buffered repeater) The
RG-58 (or is it 59?) cable is so much easier to run (and to hide, in
places where it has to look good) and connections are much more solid, in
large part because the cable is so light and flexible.

Not having built-in thin trancievers on our workstations would be a real
problem, adding expense to our configuration and making it less reliable
and convenient.

Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

jjb@zeus.cs.wayne.edu (J. Brewster) (05/16/89)

In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>We were introduced to the new Sun products last week, and I was surprised
>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
> [...]
>Can anyone clue me in to the reason why Sun chose to go this way?
>I'm clueless.

I don't claim to know the real reason why Sun went that way.  A guess: if
you have an AUI port, you can convert to thin easily enough.  I've seen
little devices which have a DB-15 and a BNC on them.  I suppose it's just
a small transceiver.  However, given a thin Ethernet port, you can't
really switch back to an AUI connection.  Further, thick Ethernet allows
for greater segment lengths than does thin.  I like the flexibility of
having both (our VAXStation 2000's have a slide switch -- no jumper plug
to fool with!), but if I had to choose, I'd choose the AUI port, too.  --
J. Brewster               | "In this country, everything loose
jjb@cs.wayne.edu          | rolls to the West Coast."
...!mailrus!wsu-cs!jjb    | --Thomas A. Vanderslice, CEO of Apollo

jis@mtgzx.att.com (j.mukerji) (05/17/89)

In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>We were introduced to the new Sun products last week, and I was surprised
>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
[...]
>Can anyone clue me in to the reason why Sun chose to go this way?
>I'm clueless.

I don't know the real reason, but I remember a conversation that I had
about a year ago with a Sun technical type. He had asked me "If Sun
decided to do away with either the thick Ethernet or the thin Ethernet
interface on their desktop boxes which would I be more comfortable with?".
My reply to him was, I would be more comfortable with a desktop Sun with
no thin Ethernet connector rather than no thick Ethernet connector,
because it is not possible to convert to a thick Ethernet connector from a
thin one, but vice-versa can be achieved by a little line-powered matchbox
device.

We happen to use 10BaseT compliant Starlan 10 over twisted pair telephone
wiring in our network. In this setup each workstation is connected into
the building wiring using a little box called "AUI Adapter" which really
is a twisted pair transceiver that plugs directly into the thick Ethernet
connector, if you can figure out how to hold it there. In our setup we
tend to use a short segment of transceiver cable to hookup the AUI
adapters to workstations. Works like the charm.

Jishnu Mukerji,
mtgzz!jis, jis@mtgzz.att.com
+1 201 957 5986
AT&T Bell Laboratories, MT 3K-423, 200 Laurel Ave., Middletown NJ 07748

stpeters@uunet.uu.net (05/17/89)

In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>I was surprised
>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
>agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
>jumper cables.  But why thick?!?

Perhaps because thick is a standard (and works), thin is not, and some
large customers (e.g. us) would insist on thick.

>  Everybody seems to have problems with
>the thick connectors coming off ...

It's long past time to put this to rest (again).  For years, we've
been converting our Enet connections to holddown connectors similar to
RS232 connectors.  Supplier of the conversion parts is
	AMP, Inc.
	PO Box 3608, mail stop 38-28
	Harrisburg, Pa.
For making drop cables, AMP part number 1-745172-3 is a metal
connector hood that goes on the end of the cable.  Part 205817-1 is a
kit with 2 posts, washers, and nuts for converting a standard Enet
connector like those on Suns to mate with the AMP cable connector.
The whole conversion is about $5 per connection.

There.  Now you too can have to search the building for a screwdriver
when you want to disconnect from Enet, but at least your cable won't
fall off.  In fact, you can use the drop cable to pull the cpu card
out of the bus.

Dick St.Peters
GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY
stpeters@dawn.crd.ge.com
uunet!steinmetz!dawn!stpeters

GE would charge for opinions if it could find any.  These are mine.

bud@cs.utexas.edu (C. E. "Bud" Spurgeon) (05/18/89)

In article <13779@steinmetz.ge.com> steinmetz!dawn!stpeters@uunet.uu.net writes:

>In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>>I was surprised
>>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
>>agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
>>jumper cables.  But why thick?!?

Going from thick interface (transceiver cable or "Attachment Unit
Interface" (AUI) port) to thin network coax cable is easy enough.  You get
a thin net transceiver, attach it into your thin net coax with the usual
BNC T connector, and attach an AUI cable from the transceiver to your
workstation.

Going from thin net interface (BNC only, transceiver electronics internal
to workstation) to a thick coax network isn't as straightforward.  You
have to get off the thick coax onto the thin coax so that you'll have thin
coax to attach to your workstation.  That takes a repeater/bridge to do
the job cleanly, or loops of thin Ethernet spliced into your thick net to
do the job as a hack.  Given the choice, a thick net interface on the
wokstation is the more general one to have.

>>  Everybody seems to have problems with
>>the thick connectors coming off ...
>
>It's long past time to put this to rest (again).  For years, we've
>been converting our Enet connections to holddown connectors similar to
>RS232 connectors.

If the SPARC station we had for a demo is any indication, Sun has finally
gotten around to building the transceiver connector with the correct
number and placement of washers on the posts.  The sliding lock hardware
on the transceiver cable we used attached firmly to this machine and held
very well.  Rather than modify all of your machines to be non standard you
might want to try the sliding lock connector first, since it appears to be
much improved.

nguyen@key.key.com (Chien Nguyen) (05/18/89)

In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>I was surprised
>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
>agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
>jumper cables.  But why thick?!?

Most users already have Thicknet installed.  For compability issue,
providing Thicknet probably is a must for Sun.  In addition, the Thinnet
transceiver can be incorporated externally and does not have to be in the
system.  By taking the Thinnet transceiver away from the CPU board (on the
new CPUs), the board space is reduced as well as the system cost (believe
me, when you want to integrate a lot of features on a small board, every
single square mil does count). And for those users that need the Thinnet
interface, an external converter which is available from many vendors is a
solution.  This is a win-win solution for everyone.

C. Nguyen

email: pacbell!key!nguyen
voice mail: (415) 623-2136
Postal mail:	AMDAHL/KEY COMPUTER LABS
		Advance Projects Division
		4245  Technology Dr
		Fremont, Ca 94539

Disclaimer: I neither speak for Sun nor for my current employer.  Obviously,
it's my opinion.

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (05/22/89)

In article <3771@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>I'd just like to throw in my 2 cents about the thick-vs-thin argument.  As
>I've stated so many times, the thick ethernet connectors just plain suck.
>The cable is too stiff and heavy and the connector is too weak.

  While I was at Interleaf Canada, we stopped using thick ethernet.
Too many critical parts, many of them badly manufactured.  Some badly
designed (or perhaps I should say redesigned (:-)).
  After suffering multiple connector failures, we fixed all the drop
cables.  After lots of tranceiver failures, we started stocking extra
EXTRA tranceivers.  After oxidation problems started showing up in the
taps we sent installation kits (ie, borers) out with the field
engineer (all one of him).

  Finally Jim put his foot down: we don't sell thick ethernets anymore.

--dave c-b

jmorton@dgis.daitc.mil (Joe Morton) (05/23/89)

I heard from a Sun rep at the last DC-SLUG meeting that Sun have left
off thin ethernet support because it was easier for the SPARCstation to
qualify as an FCC class A device (home use) without it.

Joe Morton - jmorton@daitc.mil
Defense Technical Information Center Special Projects Office (DTIC-SPO)
1800 North Beaureguard
Alexandria, VA 22311     (703) 998-4600

abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (05/23/89)

> Most users already have Thicknet installed.  For compability issue,
> providing Thicknet probably is a must for Sun.  In addition, the Thinnet
> transceiver can be incorporated externally and does not have to be in the
> system.  By taking the Thinnet transceiver away from the CPU board (on the
> new CPUs), the board space is reduced as well as the system cost (believe
> me, when you want to integrate a lot of features on a small board, every
> single square mil does count). And for those users that need the Thinnet
> interface, an external converter which is available from many vendors is a
> solution.  This is a win-win solution for everyone.

Most users have Thick? Maybe sites which have had ethernet since the early
80's, but alot more office installations are using thin wire/twisted pair
since its alot easier to install. This isn't a win-win situation - it
just means that everyone who needs thinwire connectivity must spend another
$200 or so to get a clunky cable and thinwire transceiver. Sun screwed up by
not providing both as part of the machine. Maybe they should take a cue from
DEC and provide both with an external switch to choose the one they want.

art stine
sr network engineer
clarkson u

abstine@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (05/23/89)

	Agreed!
	The keyboard sucks!
	The delete and backspace are so confuse if you have to use the
old and new keyboards together!
	All the "stty dec" screws up!

Simon
princeton!hhb!simon

hess@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Caleb Hess) (05/24/89)

For everyone who's complaining about not being able to plug a new Sun into
a thinwire net, here are two options that we are using successfully:

1) I am writing this on a 386i (thickwire transceiver port only) which is
	connected to a thinwire net via a 3Com 3C100 transceiver and two
	BNC-female-to-N-male coax adapters (UG-201A/U, Amphenol 31-216).

2) We also are using several DESTAs from DEC that do the same thing without
	the adapters.

lance@kodak.com (Dan Lance) (05/25/89)

In article <8905180115.AA03696@saigon.key.com> nguyen@key.key.com (Chien Nguyen) writes:
>In article <10217@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> rudolf@oce.orst.edu (Jim Rudolf) writes:
>>I was surprised
>>to find that all new CPUs will only have thick Ethernet connectors.  OK, I
>>agree with going with only 1 port.  It means not having to mess with
>>jumper cables.  But why thick?!?
>
>Most users already have Thicknet installed.

This is a gross generalization;  for many people, it is just plain wrong.
Thick Ethernet is expensive to purchase and install and difficult to
modify; modifications to a thick Ethernet setup often need to be done by
trained people.  Thin Ethernet is cheap to purchase and install and easy
to modify.

I cannot touch our thick Ethernet cables, so I need to go through our
corporate telecom people, who are expensive, slow and inefficient.  In
contrast, I can string thin cable around the office quickly and
inexpensively.

Even though many people have thick netowrks installed, their lack of
flexibility makes them less attractive for the office environment -- which
is where most 3/80s and SPARCstation 1s will go.  Or do yours sit in
machine rooms with raised floors?

>For compability issue,
>providing Thicknet probably is a must for Sun.

"Probably is a must."  I love it.  You must have taken writing lessons
from my management.

>In addition, the Thinnet
>transceiver can be incorporated externally and does not have to be in the
>system.  By taking the Thinnet transceiver away from the CPU board (on the
>new CPUs), the board space is reduced as well as the system cost (believe
>me, when you want to integrate a lot of features on a small board, every
>single square mil does count).

The Ethernet interface is the most important interface on the machine in
most cases.  (Perhaps they should have left the sound port off to allow a
thin transceiver.)  In any case, pleading "well, we don't have enough
board space"  is not an acceptable reason for leaving off a feature as
needed as the thin transceiver.  Cost is also not a factor.  The hardware
needed to convert from thich to thin is more expensive than the
incremental cost of a thin transceiver on the CPU board.

>And for those users that need the Thinnet
>interface, an external converter which is available from many vendors is a
>solution.  This is a win-win solution for everyone.

So you save $200 or so on the workstation and then spend far more than
that to connect it to your thin Ethernet network.  Since many more people
use thin cable in offices than thick cable, the nice small workstation
that you like so much must now have a stiff assembly of brain-damaged
cables and converters hanging off of the back of it to connect it to the
thin cable your old 3/50 used.

"Win-win solutions" like this I don't need.

>C. Nguyen
>email: pacbell!key!nguyen
>Disclaimer: I neither speak for Sun nor for my current employer.  Obviously,
>it's my opinion.

You can have it, too.

drl
Daniel R. Lance / Eastman Kodak Company / drl@kodak.com

young@ll-vlsi.arpa (George Young) (05/25/89)

There has been a lot of talk on comp.sys.sun about how "you can't hook a
machine with only a thinnet port to a thick cable".  I am bewildered, since we
have been doing this for about a year with no (perceived) ill effects.  We
have a thick cable running through our labs, with various suns attached.
Those with only thicknet ports use the usual external transceiver and drop
cable.  Those with thinnet ports are connected directly to the thick cable
with a "type N" to BNC adapter.  Is this practice contrary to the standard, or
likely to fail (how?), or just basicly evil?
    ____________________+==============+__________________
      thicknet cable    | type "N" T   |
    --------------------+====+    +====+------------------
                             |    |
                             +----+
                             |    |    <-- type "N" to BNC adapter
                             \____/
                              |  |
                @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@  @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                     Sun 3/60 thinnet port

Yes, the mechanical connection is not ideal, having a heavy thick-cable
hanging off of a little BNC connector, but we have had no problems.  The
adapter adds only 28mm to the stem of the T compared to a thinnet connection.

George Young,  Rm. B-141		young@ll-vlsi.arpa
MIT Lincoln Laboratory			young@vlsi.ll.mit.edu
244 Wood St.                            [10.1.0.10]
Lexington, Massachusetts 02173		(617) 981-2756

prem@crackle.amd.com (Prem Sobel) (06/14/89)

In article <3518@kalliope.rice.edu> jmorton@dgis.daitc.mil (Joe Morton) writes:
>I heard from a Sun rep at the last DC-SLUG meeting that Sun have left
>off thin ethernet support because it was easier for the SPARCstation to
>qualify as an FCC class A device (home use) without it.

We tried using our Suns on thin ethernet and it was very unrealiable. The
internal transciever is used and it doesn't get enought current to properly
sense the net, was the explanation the CE gave us.

Prem

robinson@boone.med.unc.edu (Gerard A. Robinson) (06/19/89)

In addition to the business about the Sparcstation needing to qualify as a
FCC Class B (home) device; our local SE also pointed out that it allows
the user to connect up to ANY type of ethernet, there now being 3 (thin,
thick and twisted :-).

davecb@nexus.yorku.ca (David Collier-Brown) (06/22/89)

In article <3917@kalliope.rice.edu> robinson@boone.med.unc.edu (Gerard
| A. Robinson) writes: In addition to the business about the
| Sparcstation needing to qualify as a FCC Class B (home) device; our
| local SE also pointed out that it allows the user to connect up to
| ANY type of ethernet, there now being 3 (thin, >thick and twisted :-).

That may be so, but I don't exactly see a plethora of small, inexpensive
tranceivers that I can attach to the back of a 3/80...  (ie, Is this claim
verifiable?)

--dave

--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@yunexus, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave