[comp.sys.sun] /var/spool/uucp sticky bit?

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (05/29/89)

Should the /var/spool/uucp directory have the sticky bit set?  -David-

Bitnet:   david@wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp
Internet: david%wubios@wucs1.wustl.edu    < * >    Box 8067, Biostatistics
uucp:     uunet!wucs1!wubios!david          v      660 South Euclid
Washington University (314) 36-23635               Saint Louis, MO 63110

--

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (06/28/89)

>> Should the /var/spool/uucp directory have the sticky bit set? -David
>
>Did you get an answer to this question?  If not, do you mean the
>sticky bit or the setuid bit?

Yes.  Someone said that the /var/spool/uucp directory should only be
writable by uucp, so there is no reason for the sticky bit.  I asked my
local Unix guru whether this was true, and he said yes, it should only be
writable by uucp, but the /var/spool/uucppublic directory should be public
write.  I inquired whether it should have the sticky bit set, and he
seemed to think that it would not matter, but would be okay.  I have
changed my system to conform to these suggestions.  -David-

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (06/29/89)

|I'm pretty sure you mean the set-uid bit, not the sticky bit.  The
|sticky bit causes an executable image file to remain in virtual memory
|even after it has finished executing, so that it does not have to be
|loaded when run again.  It is common to do this to executables that
|are used a LOT like ls and csh.  Clearly this is meaningless for a
|directory.  The setuid bit, which is what shows up as an `s' in an ls -l
|means that for an executable it will run as the owner of the file, and
|the setgid bit means for an executable it will run under the gid of
|the file, and for a directory means that new files created in that
|directory will be created with the gid of the directory.

Under SunOS the sticky bit for a directory means that files in that
directory can only be deleted or renamed by their owners.  -David-

|=====

weltyc@fs3.cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (06/29/89)

| (David J. Camp) Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 12:36:26 CDT X-Mailer: ELM
| [version 2.2 PL9]
|
| Under SunOS the sticky bit for a directory means that files in that
| directory can only be deleted or renamed by their owners.  -David-

Really? Do you know where/if this documented?

=====

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) (06/29/89)

|> (David J. Camp) Date: Wed, 28 Jun 89 12:36:26 CDT X-Mailer: ELM
|> [version 2.2 PL9]
|>
|> Under SunOS the sticky bit for a directory means that files in that
|> directory can only be deleted or renamed by their owners.  -David-
|>

|Really? Do you know where/if this documented?

Yes, 'man 2 chmod' on a Sun.  -David-

|=====

seth@sirius.ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) (07/11/89)

In article <4232@kalliope.rice.edu> weltyc@fs3.cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) writes:

>| Under SunOS the sticky bit for a directory means that files in that
>| directory can only be deleted or renamed by their owners.  -David-
>
>Really? Do you know where/if this documented?

man 8 sticky
STICKY(8)             MAINTENANCE COMMANDS              STICKY(8)

  Sticky Directories
     A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts  dele-
     tion of files it contains.  A file in a sticky directory may
     only be removed or renamed by a user who has  write  permis-
     sion  on  the  directory, and either owns the file, owns the
     directory, or is the super-user.  This is useful for  direc-
     tories  such  as  /tmp, which must be publicly writable, but
     should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename
     the files of others.

     Any user may create  a  sticky  directory.   See  chmod  for
     details about modifying file modes.

					-Seth Robertson
					 seth@ctr.columbia.edu