[net.news.group] tired of Patty O'Furniture, the N top lies, LBJS, unrotted offensive jokes, et al?

bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) (11/08/85)

Hi folks, once again, sometime after the semester, we're getting the
usual spate of the N greatest lies. We're also getting re-runs of jokes
we all saw during the summer and maybe sometime soon some idiot will
give us some old LBJS.

Well, have I got a deal for you!

I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
(fascist) of mod.jokes. In addition, I would like to delete net.jokes.
(if free-form exists, people aren't going to post to the mod group.. also
they might take offense at someone telling them that "Patty O'Furniture"
wasn't an original joke)

My plan is to weed out duplicates. I also plan on keeping an archive of
everything that I get.

Suggestions? Comments?
--
There once was a thing called a V-2,
To pilot which you did not need to--

andy beals - bandy@lll-crg.arpa - {seismo,ihnp4!sun,dual}!lll-crg!bandy

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (11/08/85)

In article <973@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
>(fascist) of mod.jokes. In addition, I would like to delete net.jokes.
>(if free-form exists, people aren't going to post to the mod group.. also
>they might take offense at someone telling them that "Patty O'Furniture"
>an original joke)
>
>My plan is to weed out duplicates. I also plan on keeping an archive of
>everything that I get.
>
>Suggestions? Comments?

1) You are crazy to volunteer -- weren't you ever in the Army?

2) If it truely REPLACES net.jokes, GO FOR IT (i.e. a YES vote).

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems Division of Tektronix, Inc.
UUCP:   tektronix!teklds!cae780!gordon
	{ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amdcad!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, hplabs, resonex, qubix, leadsv}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 5302 Betsy Ross Drive, Santa Clara, CA  95054
*UNTIL THE MOVE*
 AT&T:   (408)745-1440
*AFTER THE MOVE*
 AT&T:   (408)727-1234

 1) Down 72 pounds, and need to gain a couple back ...
 2) THE MOVE is this weekend - communications lost from 08Nov until ?

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/08/85)

> I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
> (fascist) of mod.jokes.

OK, Bandy, but mod.flame is right out.

-Ron

adams@calma.UUCP (Robert Adams) (11/08/85)

> Hi folks, once again, sometime after the semester, we're getting the
> usual spate of the N greatest lies. We're also getting re-runs of jokes
> we all saw during the summer and maybe sometime soon some idiot will
> give us some old LBJS.
> andy beals - bandy@lll-crg.arpa - {seismo,ihnp4!sun,dual}!lll-crg!bandy

Indeed, is there someway of "educating" the new users on the state
of the "jokes world".  Should we adopt the style of net.announce
of posting the canonical JAP, light bulb, dead celebrity, elephant, ...
jokes several times each year so everyone can know where the
people who have been here for a while are coming from.

A moderated jokes system might be nice: someone could handle Father
Goose stories and someone could be the ultimate keeper of JAP jokes.
Or if not moderated, the above periodic posting of "canonical" joke
sets would cut down a lot of the posting of old jokes.

	adams@calma.UUCP		-- Robert Adams
	...!ucbvax!calma!adams

Oh, if only I could hear an origional and funny joke.

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (11/09/85)

This is an excellent idea. I have just one stipulation for my support of it:
no repeat material should be posted to mod.jokes, ever.

Imagine!

The Archive of that group would be a comedian's dream (or nightmare; he
might have to come up with original material if he plays before an
audience full of USENET readers)!

We could even test the theory that there is a limited amount of humor
in the world...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) (11/11/85)

> In article <973@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
> >I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
> >(fascist) of mod.jokes. In addition, I would like to delete net.jokes.
> >(if free-form exists, people aren't going to post to the mod group.. also
> >they might take offense at someone telling them that "Patty O'Furniture"
> >an original joke)
> >
> >My plan is to weed out duplicates. I also plan on keeping an archive of
> >everything that I get.
> >
> >Suggestions? Comments?

Sure, then how about calling it net.pravda ???

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (11/12/85)

> In article <973@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
> >I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
> >(fascist) of mod.jokes. In addition, I would like to delete net.jokes.
> >(if free-form exists, people aren't going to post to the mod group.. also
> >they might take offense at someone telling them that "Patty O'Furniture"
> >an original joke)
> >
> >My plan is to weed out duplicates. I also plan on keeping an archive of
> >everything that I get.
> >
> >Suggestions? Comments?

While I agree with you, re: duplicates, unROTed jokes, etc., I do some
problems with a moderator:

1.  S/he would have to read *ALL* of the offensive jokes, which you
    may not want to do.

2.  How long must something be unseen before it is allowed to repeat.
    Readers come and go, and the fact that a joke was here 3 years ago
    does not mean that it is forever inappropriate to repost.

3.  Censorship makes me nervous.  Tastes in humor vary widely, and
    it could be too easy to have a lot of jokes that some (sickies?)
    enjoy unfairly deleted.

While I am partly in favor of the idea, unless the moderator was to
spell out exactly what s/he would and would not delete, I would not
vote in favor of the change.

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                       talcott!sesame!slerner@harvard.ARPA

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (11/12/85)

> Indeed, is there someway of "educating" the new users on the state
> of the "jokes world".  Should we adopt the style of net.announce
> of posting the canonical JAP, light bulb, dead celebrity, elephant, ...
> jokes several times each year so everyone can know where the
> people who have been here for a while are coming from.
>
> A moderated jokes system might be nice: someone could handle Father
> Goose stories and someone could be the ultimate keeper of JAP jokes.
> Or if not moderated, the above periodic posting of "canonical" joke
> sets would cut down a lot of the posting of old jokes.

Great idea.  If there were periodic repostings of the various canonical
collections (with updates), the main problem, that of dealing with repeat
material, would be solved.
--

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (11/15/85)

In article <1426@ihlpg.UUCP> meehan@ihlpg.UUCP (Meehan) writes:
>> In article <973@lll-crg.ARpA> bandy@lll-crg.ARpA (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>> >I want to change all of this. I am volunteering for being the moderator
>> >(fascist) of mod.jokes.
>> >
>> >Suggestions? Comments?
>
>Sure, then how about calling it net.pravda ???

On the theory that truth is humor and humor, truth?

("pravda" means "truth" in Russian)
--
Dave Seaman			 ..!pur-ee!pucc-h!ags