[comp.sys.sun] Slow service results -- what do we do ??

91erm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu (Evan Moore) (05/24/89)

Hmmmm.  As we all know, Sun has been getting really low marks in the
service department these days.  We all groan and moan, and really get
peeved when Sun comes around to renew contracts.  But what do we do ??

I don't have the kind of contracts to make this an option, but has anyone
considered sueing Sun Inc. ?  It's my understanding that some contracts
promise service within X hours/days, and if Sun doesn't get back to you
until 10 days later I'd day they've failed there end of the deal.  What to
the legal types have to say ?  Is breach of contract a possability ?

I'm just looking for opinions.  I don't have this sort of contract (except
for 4 hour hardware service on the servers), and I don't really hate Sun
or any such.  I'm just tired of seeing my service calls go down the drain
and offering an idea to the community.

Evan R. Moore
Academic Computing Group
Williams College
91erm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu
 or
...!uunet!bigbird.cc.williams.edu!91erm
 or
91erm@williams.bitnet

kb13+@andrew.cmu.edu (Ken Burner) (06/13/89)

    Here are 3 options to consider.

    1. Escalate the problem.  Every time you're dissatisfied with
       service you should complain, formally if necessary, all the
       way up the ladder.  You will find someone who will make a
       difference.
    2. Consider a third-party service organization.  Even Sun will
       respond to competition, so they might improve their service
       just because they know you're looking around.  If they don't,
       then find someone who'll do a satisfactory job for you.
    3. Do your own service.  It really isn't that frightening.  There
       are new Sun repair depots springing up all over the country.
       There's no magic.  If response time is your biggest complaint,
       you'll improve it tremendously by having on-site personnel.

    -Ken Burner
     Carnegie-Mellon Computing Services

PS- We do option #3.

weltyc@cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty) (07/01/89)

In article <3733@kalliope.rice.edu> 91erm@bigbird.cc.williams.edu (Evan Moore) writes:

>Hmmmm.  As we all know, Sun has been getting really low marks in the
>service department these days.  We all groan and moan, and really get
>peeved when Sun comes around to renew contracts.  But what do we do ??

I have found three basic flaws in Sun service:

1) Delivery.  Sun has the worst delivery record of any company we have
   ever dealt with.  They claim that they have fixed this problem by
   installed a new inventory control system or something.  I'll
   believe it when we get something on time.

2) Software support.  Say no more...

3) Saleslies.  I have complained many times that the salesforce,
   whether they themselves are knowlingly lying or are being told lies
   by their own company, lie a lot.  Especially when they are talking
   about 1+2 above.

We have found ways to begin dealing with these three issues.  For #1, ask
for a guaranteed delivery date.  They will do this, although it will push
back your delivery date by a month (who cares, they won't meet it anyway).
Ask for $$ per day late, also make sure you do this AFTER you cut the
deal, so they don't add the late charge they will inevitably pay to the
price of the equipment.  For #2, I read sunspots.  For #3, sunspots also
proves useful, as does the solution to #1, and also pressure to move to
other vendors.  Sun no longer dominates the price/performance arena as
they used to, DEC and Solbourne are making impressive and attractive
offers, which has kept our Sun office jumping.  They have become far more
helpful since we started considering others (capitalism is a beautiful
thing).

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs | "Porsche:  Fahren in
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc |  seiner schoensten Form"

gplan@husc6.harvard.edu (George A. Planansky) (07/17/89)

Motorola has a hardware maintenance group that will handle suns, at least
suns based on Motorola chips and perhaps others.  Check with your Motorola
representative.  We have not yet submitted any malfunctioning hardware,
but are impressed by their resonable and flexible attitude.  Also, they
are cheaper.

George Planansky, AER, Cambridge MA
617 547-6207
gplan@ra.umb.edu